??? On Pump & Filter Size

If at all possible get a two speed 1 HP pump, running on low speed will save you 50% of your pool related electrical bill.

There is no such thing as a "1 HP" filter. Filters are generally measured in surface area, typically square feet, you also need to say which kind: sand, cartridge, or DE.

Generally you want a larger filter than the sales people will want to sell you.

Re: ??? On Pump & Filter Size

An 18'x52" pool will do well with the 1hp pump.

I've never heard of a filter rated in hp. Can I assume from your sig line that it is a 17" sand filter? If it is, then yes, that will work for your pool, although I probably would have gone with a 21" or bigger. You will have to backwash a little more frequently than with a larger filter.

When it comes to filters, the bigger the better. More surface area to capture the fine particles.

- - - Updated - - -

If you could, please post the model number off of the filter.

Ok, now I understand the hp confusion. That sales brochure is listing the pump hp that the filter will be compatible with.

While you are ordering the pool, consider what JasonLion said about the 2 speed option. it will save you money on pool operation.

I will stick by what has been said about filter size. Get the biggest you can afford. 100lbs of sand will have you backwashing probably twice a month, where a 22" or 24" that holds 200- 300lbs will be more like twice a season.

That is the rating for the pump only. But there is no reason why you couldn't go down to a 3/4 HP too. It will use less energy that then 1 HP. Do they have a two speed option?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since you are worried that a 1hp pump may not be enough for your pool, think about this: Intex 2650gph pumps are only 1/2 - 3/4 hp, and are used on 24'x52" Intex pools, and do quite well. The 2500gph 1/2hp pump that I have is almost too much for my 15'x48" pool.

Thank you all so much!!!! You've given me lots to think about.

Funny about dropping to 3/4 hp pump. I guess want it comes to pool pumps, bigger isn't always better. Overkill on a smaller pool. I just thought it would work "better".

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.