When to retest CYA

May 5, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
Just completed first fill on new pool so CYA was obviously zero. I added in the recommended CYA levels in a sock and let it hang in front of the water return jet overnight. My question is how long so I wait until I would be able to get an accurate CYA test result. I believe I read in pool school that CYA can take a while after adding to show up.??

Just completed first fill on new pool so CYA was obviously zero. I added in the recommended CYA levels in a sock and let it hang in front of the water return jet overnight. My question is how long so I wait until I would be able to get an accurate CYA test result. I believe I read in pool school that CYA can take a while after adding to show up.??

Rule of thumb is assume it is where it should be based on what you added and maintain your chlorine levels accordingly but wait one week to test.

I would wait about 7 days from the date you first placed the CYA-laden sock into the water in front of a return jet. Give the sock a good squeeze every now and then to speed up the dissolving process. The longer you run the pump will also speed dissolving. Although the granules should be completely dissolved well before the 7 days are up, I refer to give a little extra time before testing to guard against overshooting your target CYA. If you test too soon, your test results run the risk of getting a low test result which may cause you to add more CYA and wind up overshooting your target. Like adding salt to a recipe, it is much easier to add more than it is to remove/ dilute it if you add too much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.