my water after using winter cover with mesh strip

linda1

Mar 26, 2010
Western Pa.
I replaced my solid winter cover last fall with one with a foot wide mesh strip down the center. Water is very clear, but there is a good bit of fine silt on the bottom. FC was 2 with .5 CC. Spring of 2013 with solid cover my FC was 5 and I'm pretty sure CC was 0. Water was clear with no sign of dirt. Pictures are from last year and this year. Not having to worry about pumping water off solid was the main reason for going with this new cover. I also didn't have to add much water back into the pool this year. Maybe and 1.5 inches! Hope this might help people decide on which type of winter cover to buy.

With solid cover spring of 2013
original.jpg

With mesh strip cover spring of 2014

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks Linda1 for sharing these pics. Our first winter here we went with the full mesh artic armour cover as apposed to solid just so we didn't have to pump off water. We have quite a bit of silt on the bottom and has kind of been a pain and time consuming vac and backwashing.....this is only my first spring though......was thinking solid cover may not be such a bad idea after all. Your cover with the mesh strip may be the perfect in between!

Not too bad linda! I have a solid cover. I thought I'd have a hard time with getting the water off but I didn't. I used the vac hose as a siphon. Did you have floats in your water to keep the cover off the pool water?

Not too bad linda! I have a solid cover. I thought I'd have a hard time with getting the water off but I didn't. I used the vac hose as a siphon. Did you have floats in your water to keep the cover off the pool water?
No, no floats. The cover was pulled tight and kept above the water most of the time. When it rained hard, it would sag down some and then pop back up when the water filtered through. It seemed most of the winter it was heaped high with snow! All in all I'm pleased with how it worked. I did run the rover most of today getting up the fine dirt. Last year with the solid cover I didn't have to sweep even though I did for the heck of it.

I opened to a very clean and clear bottom. I think you saw it... Looks like you did really well though and thank goodness you opened because the FC was getting low! :shock:

Looks great Linda1 with either cover. I myself was very pleased this year when I pulled my solid cover off. This being my first opportunity after having converted to TFPC. Water was totally clear with slight sediment on floor. From the time I closed last fall till I pulled the cover last week I have been very proactive to keep all leaves and excess water from rain/snow off pool cover. The exposed top of cover was dry when my two daughters helped remove and not a single anything fell into the pool.

5-5-14 pulled cover - Copy.jpg

Looks great Linda1 with either cover. I myself was very pleased this year when I pulled my solid cover off. This being my first opportunity after having converted to TFPC. Water was totally clear with slight sediment on floor. From the time I closed last fall till I pulled the cover last week I have been very proactive to keep all leaves and excess water from rain/snow off pool cover. The exposed top of cover was dry when my two daughters helped remove and not a single anything fell into the pool.

View attachment 29136

Looks great! It's a good feeling when you have so little work to get ready to use the pool!

I replaced my solid winter cover last fall with one with a foot wide mesh strip down the center. Water is very clear, but there is a good bit of fine silt on the bottom. FC was 2 with .5 CC. Spring of 2013 with solid cover my FC was 5 and I'm pretty sure CC was 0. Water was clear with no sign of dirt. Pictures are from last year and this year. Not having to worry about pumping water off solid was the main reason for going with this new cover. I also didn't have to add much water back into the pool this year. Maybe and 1.5 inches! Hope this might help people decide on which type of winter cover to buy.

With solid cover spring of 2013
original.jpg

With mesh strip cover spring of 2014

original.jpg

original.jpg

Where did you get this kind of cover. I have been searching for one. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.