Reno Question/Opinion

FLG8R

Apr 16, 2014
Florida
Hello Everybody,

Awesome website! I've been lurking for a few months, as we've just purchased a new home with a pool. Come to find out the pool needs much TLC. The pool was built in '97, the plaster is shot. We've contracted with a local, Jax FL, plaster company to instal CL Industries Sunstone Pearl Aqua. Then to come find out ... the back cool deck, on the lake side (see pics) is totally undercut, hardly any support underneath the existing pool deck. So here is the question, or better yet, let me bounce off my idea.

What I'm considering doing as a temporary fix, as in a year or two, until we can afford to get in a pump truck to mud jack the area. Head to the Depot, get a few lengths of sonotube and about (30) 80 lbs. bags of crete. Pier up the back side of the deck to support it. I'd say the deck is 3-4" thick, with 3/8" rebar support, not sure the spacing as they only way I know is that they left a piece sticking out the slab. Any thoughts are much appreciated! And thanks for having such an awesome website here!

G2ckeaB.jpg

yNbGkB3.jpg

7tKufZh.jpg

4l4Pgs7.jpg

GAFZZr4.jpg

The model in the pictures is Stella. She is recovering from yesterday though, we had a Heron fly over last night. Stella being in my lap at the time, notices this huge bird 20' up in the air, decides to dig her claws into my upper thighs, jumps off my lap to bark at this intruder. Well, this Heron was having nothing to do with Ms Noise Maker upon the ground and decides to bank sharply towards the lake. The bombay doors open, the only way I can describe it is egg drop soup. Smacks the cool deck squarely in the middle of the dog's 4 legs, she is splattered! I had no idea those birds were such a good shot. Honestly, I hadn't had a good laugh like that in a very long time!

Welcome FLG8R! So glad you're here! I can not help in your plan but wanted to welcome you and thank you for adding pics to your thread so we can have a look! Is the pup the life guard on duty? :mrgreen: You've got a nice pool!

Thanks for the welcome Casey.

She actually is the life guard, in her opinion. She puts herself between me and the pool, trying to herd me away from potential danger.

We worked all day Saturday setting 8 concrete piers, which I'll post this evening when I get home. Went with 8" concrete tube, which cut the bag amount down to 11. I'm optimistic this will work as a temporary fix until we can really do it right. I'll also update this thread in a few weeks after we get the new plaster done, for those interested in some more before/after pics.

Here are a few of the before pictures showing the extent of how badly the deck was undermined.

darOlZc.jpg

yTp7uFH.jpg

pR5qvxh.jpg

During the process of shoring up the deck. Went roughly 4'4" on center with each pier.

FmvC3f7.jpg

89elD3w.jpg

wa0OdOV.jpg

pmdHHmZ.jpg

DjVCJ0y.jpg

Each tube is 2' long, we dug down a little further in order to pour a pad down in the bottom, so the piers would have some support.

gzeeH2e.jpg

The building inspector had to stop by and inspect our handy work.

NQjb29l.jpg

Well, that looks like it should hold you over until you can get a redo. Love the building inspector/life guard! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.