New Roof, removed solar panels, diverter value not stopping flow from pool

Jul 5, 2013
I have a unique set up.

First, my pool pump is in the basement. Second, I had until today solar panels hooked up to the system.

I had the solar panels removed, and drained the panels, but discovered that once they drained, water was still coming out of the value to drain the solar. If I closed main valve from the return, the water stopped flowing.

I think the diverter has one of those intentional holes to drain the panel even in the off position. However, with everything off, there's enough pressure from the return lines to flow water back through up the diverter and up and out through the drain valve when it's open.

I don't have any isolation valvues.

I have made sure the jandy value will stay off. But I am afraid if the I turn on the pump, water will start trying to go up the diverter. I am attaching a pic.

The blue tape is just me attaching a hose to the drain to go to my basement drain.

Attachments

• photo640.jpg
    photo640.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 44
Welcome to TFP!

If you are permanently getting rid of the panels, the simplest thing is to cut out the solar plumbing, replace the diverter valve with a 90 and remove or cap the return connection.

If this is just temporary, all you should have to do is close the drain. Some water may well go into the solar pipe, but it won't make it as high as where the panels were and will drain back into the pool when the pump is off.

Thanks. I'll try that. Just being cautious.

We are going to eventually switch to a heat pump or a water to water heat pump tied to a solar drum system under PV solar panels. So, I didn't want to make a permanent solution just yet.

I'll all set. Except I at first forget that I left the small threaded drain plug out on the return from the solar, so water was making its way out of that.

I screwed the plug back in, and its been working fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.