vermiculite bottom

May 9, 2014
Sandy Creek NY
Hello all and thank you for having me in TFP, im a new homeowner with and old in ground pool, the pool is an 18x36 grecian pool i bought house late last fall removed the torn up liner and pumped out water to repair vermiculite bottom when i pump out the water i noticed water seeping back through the bottom and through on for the screw holes in the drain, winter came and didnt have time to do anything now i pumped out pool again to do repairs and have high water table when i drain pool fills back in about 20 inches of water and have a new crack in the bottom of hopper, How am i going to keep this water out while i repair the crack and to put in new liner, thanks in advance

Dave

Welcome to TFP!

You either need to wait until it is generally drier, possibly a long time, or you need to lower the water table around the pool. The most reliable way to lower the water table is to put a sump pump in a dry well, or two or three, around the pool.

As Jason mentioned... you're going to need to lower it by using a well point or as he called it a dry well. It pulls the water away from the pool via pump so you can work on it (like you are wanting to do) and removing ground water to prevent liner floating and unsightly wrinkles. You can dig the point/well yourself. Good Luck and Welcome to TFP!

The well point above is not what we are talking about.
so i need to dig approximately 10' deep point well, should i put perforated pvc pipe in it to keep it from caving in, and maybe some stone in bottom
That would be a good way to finish it off but, depending on your soil, may or may not be necessary. The important part is you need to be able to lower a submersible pump into the dry well or well point so you can extract the ground water.

yeah we have those well points at the local tractor supply actually thats what i have for my well in the house, We have really sandy soil here im about 1 mile from lake Ontario i dont think the digging will be to bad especially with earth auger with some extensions. would a well point be sufficient enough if i drove it at angle underneath pool?

Can you drive it straight down a few feet from the pool? Dewatering with wellpoints(picture) works best with mutiple wellpoints distributed around the area you want to dewater.You hook all the wellpoints up to a single header pipe and 1 pump.Drive the points down a couple feet lower than the bottom of your pool.Think shallow well pump in your house.

Think about it this way if you left your well pump run continuously ,you'd eventually run out of water.

Essentially what duraleigh said at the top of this thread just a different approach.

We are just starting our pool this week and the first thing our builder did was dig a test hole with post hole diggers to see where the water table was in my yard. They hit water at around 4ft. So on Monday they came over and put in 12 well points around what will be the deep end of the pool. They are 2ft off of the wall. They went straight down 8ft-10ft with the pipes. He wanted them all at 10ft but a few of the holes they kept hitting rock and could not go deeper. All of the well points were tied together and hooked up to a single pump. I can not believe how much water it is pumping out either. It has been a steady stream the entire time the pump has been on. Here is the link to the time lapse video of them putting in the well points on Monday..

http://youtu.be/82tjsutjVzM

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back Again Just had a thought, My drain at the bottom is tied into my skimmer basket why could i hook up s well pump to the plumbing for that and pump out to repair and put liner in it would be like a dry well, just a thought if anyone has tried this or think it will work let me know

Thanks
Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.