New to this and overwhelmed

Apr 23, 2014
texas
I have a 15000 gal in ground pool with a DE filter. I just started reading and learning from this site/forum. Its got great info but the chemistry and problem solving is a bit overwhelming. I had algea from the winter break and I used Kemtech liquid chlorinate to shock and my pool is crystal clear. But the grout between the tiles has small algea on it and a few big rain storms have thrown my chlorine outta whack. Just had my water tested at Leslie's and everything is within range but chlorine is a big fat zero. Do I need to add chlorine to shock levels or just to get the desired FC (3-4 ppm)? my CYA at the moment is at 60 and according to the chart my "target FC is 7" and shock level is 24 which means almost 500 oz of chlorine at 10%. How do I know what level CYA I want to maintain? Help is appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well the first step if you want to take control is to stop trusting the pool store testing and invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. Since you see algae and have 0FC ... you need to follow the SLAM Process. As such, I HIGHLY recommend you order the TF-100 with the XL option.

Until you have a full set of reliable test results (they are just SO bad at the CYA test), it is going to be hard to provide recommendations.

Our general recommended levels are here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome, my suggestion is to read pool school (link in the upper right of this page) a couple of times, most people get a lot more out of it the second time through. As to your target CYA level it depends on the amount of sun exposure you get, as a general rule in a sunbelt location like parts of Texas with full sun you probably want to target around 50 ppm for CYA. (if you could narrow down your location a bit it would help us give you better advice as the climate in the pan handle or west Texas is a bit different from the gulf coast, etc.)

Ike

Welcome! :wave:

Yeah, what they said. Pool School. 60 CYA is a little bit higher than you should go. However, pool store test results are always sort of suspect, so you could be higher or lower. Once you get your test kit, you'll know. And once you know the CYA level, you'll be able to effectively SLAM the pool. In the meantime, I'd keep at least the target 7ppm FC in there. The algae in the grout will require a scrub brush and some elbow grease. Probably some Motrin, too. Check the grocery store cleaning aisle for a scrub brush, the pool brush won't let you lean on it hard enough.

Once you get some results, we can guide you through the rest of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.