Fighting algae and losing

Jul 5, 2008
Hello,

I just found this site yesterday and I have read all the things to post so I will try to get it all in. We have an inground pool with a salt generator, 36,000 thousand gallons, sand filter, vinyl liner. My problem is algae. We put this pool in last year ourselves and it has been a learn on your own thing. We have not been successful in located anyone that has much knowledge that isn't attached to what they can sell me. Nevertheless, my pool place tested the water over a week ago when I first noticed the problem and indicated my calcium hardness was too low and ph too high and alkalinity needed adjustment. I adjusted the ph and alkalinity, but was told not to do anything with the calcium if the pool was cloudy, which it was. Of course, they told me all was well and when I adjusted the ph and alkalinity the cloudiness would go away and then I could fix the calcium. Well, that did not happen. In an attempt to "fix" what appear to be a vast majority of sand in my pool. I vacuumed it to waste over the span of 2 days letting it settle several times. Well, I took the water back for testing again stating the deep in was still a bit cloudy. The test results were fine except the stablizer was low. So I added 4 lbs of stablizer according to their directions. Today, I still have a very cloudy deep end and much "sand" throughout. Upon finding this site I tested the water and begin trying to kill what I now believe to be algae. I have put 3 containers(174 oz.) of bleach in the pool since 6:00 pm yesterday, 7/5. My current test results using a test kit I bought at the pool place are:
ph - 7.5, TA - 120, FC - 5, TC - 10, CYA - 50, I do not have a number on CH. I have a color strip test kit that says it is in the low area. My current salt reading is 2900. I have read the turning my swap to an oasis article, but guess just wanting direction. I live in the deep south where we have consitently 90 plus days from May to September, sometime beyond. My pool has direct sunlight approximately 4-6 hours a day. Thanks for all your help. BTW I have learned more at this site in 2 days than I have in the year and a half I have had my pool. Thanks so much!

eaglesflying said:
Hello,

I just found this site yesterday and I have read all the things to post so I will try to get it all in. We have an inground pool with a salt generator, 36,000 thousand gallons, sand filter, vinyl liner. My problem is algae. We put this pool in last year ourselves and it has been a learn on your own thing. We have not been successful in located anyone that has much knowledge that isn't attached to what they can sell me. Nevertheless, my pool place tested the water over a week ago when I first noticed the problem and indicated my calcium hardness was too low and ph too high and alkalinity needed adjustment. I adjusted the ph and alkalinity, but was told not to do anything with the calcium if the pool was cloudy, which it was. Of course, they told me all was well and when I adjusted the ph and alkalinity the cloudiness would go away and then I could fix the calcium. Well, that did not happen. In an attempt to "fix" what appear to be a vast majority of sand in my pool. I vacuumed it to waste over the span of 2 days letting it settle several times. Well, I took the water back for testing again stating the deep in was still a bit cloudy. The test results were fine except the stablizer was low. So I added 4 lbs of stablizer according to their directions. Today, I still have a very cloudy deep end and much "sand" throughout. Upon finding this site I tested the water and begin trying to kill what I now believe to be algae. I have put 3 containers(174 oz.) of bleach in the pool since 6:00 pm yesterday, 7/5. My current test results using a test kit I bought at the pool place are:
ph - 7.5, TA - 120, FC - 5, TC - 10, CYA - 50, I do not have a number on CH. I have a color strip test kit that says it is in the low area. My current salt reading is 2900. I have read the turning my swap to an oasis article, but guess just wanting direction. I live in the deep south where we have consitently 90 plus days from May to September, sometime beyond. My pool has direct sunlight approximately 4-6 hours a day. Thanks for all your help. BTW I have learned more at this site in 2 days than I have in the year and a half I have had my pool. Thanks so much!

Welcome! YOur in the right place.

With a SWG, it's recommended that CYA should be 60-80, so considering upping that a bit when you get a chance.

Your PH is fine, but with a TA of 120, PH will rise because of the SWG aeration. So read the article in pool school about lowering TA.

If your TC is 10, and your FC is 5, that means you have a CC of 5. Anything above .5 requires shocking. So you have quite a bit of CC's to remove, via shocking. That would explain the cloudy water and suspected algae, the 5 cc confirms that. So get some bleach in their according to the CYA chart for appropriate targets.

You need to reach shock level, and hold it there. It's best to do it at night. Test, if possible, before bedtime, and then retest in the morning. When your FC holds overnight, and you lose less than 1ppm FC, you have killed the algae and your pool will clear.

I would recommend you order an FAS-DPD kit about $23 from trouble free test kits to supplement your pool store kit, you need to be able to test the FC at higher numbers, and I don't think the kit you have will test above 10, correct?

Do you think your sand filter is leaking sand into the pool?

Good luck, hope this helps, feel free to post more questions.

eaglesflying said:
Thanks for your reply. What and when do I address the calcium thing?

Thanks again!

When you feel like the other issues are taken care of. Or on the other hand, you can shock with calcium-hypo. Costs more than bleach but you are adding calcium that way. It's up to you. For dosages on cal-hypo refer to the pool calculator.

Hi eaglesflying,

Glad you have learned so much from this site in such a short time! It is chock full of info and lots of folks to help.

In Pool School (link at top of page in sub-heading and in my sig) there is an article on "Water Balance Tips for a SWG" which you should find interesting!

Please add your equipment and pool info in your signature when you have a moment.

Welcome to the forum :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.