Need help with Baker sand filter

May 30, 2012
Are there any tips on how to get the dome lid off the top of a old Baker sand filter? The cover appears to be a synthetic material of some type with 4 fins on top. I just broke the fins off trying to get into the filter. I need to replace the lower outlet gasket.

If times were better I'd replace the filter, but I'd like to keep this one going for a few more years. I replaced the motor and pump about 2-1/2 years ago and at the end of last season I had to replace the bearing in the motor; seems like the new stuff doesn't last.

I had the cover off about 2 weeks ago, it was put back together using super lube on the mating surfaces and O ring.
Since I broke the fins off, I am trying to add some grip points by attaching 2 aluminum squares to the top using epoxy. The epoxy is still setting up so I don’t know how successful the glue will be.

The epoxy set and I attempted to put some pressure on the squares to unscrew the lid. The epoxy is stronger than the lit material, the squares popped off with a little of the lid material still attached. Unless someone has a better idea, my next step is to drill 4 holes and tap them for some bolts. After (if) I get the lit off; I'll thread them from the inside with some gasket material.

Attachments

• lid resized.jpg
    lid resized.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.