Issues with new above ground pool...

May 12, 2008
East of KC, MO
Hi, I had a new pool installed a couple weeks ago, but want to focus on the negative items first.

-Liner tear around return jet: Before filling the pool, they cut the return in, as normal. Once the water began filling and tightening the liner to the walls, the cutout around the return started to sag on the bottom side, exposing about a 3/4" tear on the bottom side of the return. You could see the wall clearly underneath the return. After noticing that I had lost about 1" of water in one day, I noticed this issue. I contacted the installer and he was out the next day to "fix it". They patched it up with the same pattern of liner, but did not even attempt to line it up and match it with the underlying liner. I am fine with the "temporary fix" but am I right in thinking that I should be entitled to a new liner (and water to refill)? I bought a new pool and expect it to look new, not to have a patched liner already.

-Return jet leaks on outside of pool wall: He said he checked all fittings, etc, for leaks after patching the liner. I soon noticed a pretty good leak around the return, in particularly the black o-ring rubber gasket...appears to be mashed down and off center. Do I even attempt to tighten it, or let them deal with it? The weight of the hose running from the filter to the return is very heavy, and appears to put quite a strain on the return / pool wall.

-Mountain range on bottom of pool: When the pool was installed, we had been dealing with a lot of rain, thus the ground had been very muddy. He felt like it was OK to proceed with the installation, and continued with around 8 tons of sand as the base. Once they put the liner on and began filling, you could see a few bad spots in the liner, but it didn't look horrible. After it filled, I immediately began backfilling before the next big rain came (I live at the bottom of a cul-de-sac, and receive about 4 neighboring yards of rain run-off). I got a pretty good wall built, enough to divert a fairly decent rain. While doing this, issue #1 occurred (losing 1" of water through tear in liner by return). I noticed quite a bit of sand pushed out near and around the return when the leak occurred. Then this is when I noticed HUGE dips, humps, cracks, etc. in the floor of my pool. I don't know how to compare to others, but there are more bad spots than flat spots. Is this something that can be fixed? Is it something the installer should be responsible for? I believe I did my part in backfilling and did not cause any of the liner floor issues.. :(

-Crease in pool wall: I noticed there is about a 1 foot horizontal crease a couple inches from the bottom, that the pool wall didn't push out when filling up. Can this be pushed out now, or do you risk further damage by trying to fix it?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I will use your responses when I contact the pool installer in the next couple days... :|

This is why we don't hire landscapers nor carpenters to build pools :rant:

thenikeman said:
Hi, I had a new pool installed a couple weeks ago, but want to focus on the negative items first.

-Liner tear around return jet: Before filling the pool, they cut the return in, as normal. Once the water began filling and tightening the liner to the walls, the cutout around the return started to sag on the bottom side, exposing about a 3/4" tear on the bottom side of the return. You could see the wall clearly underneath the return. After noticing that I had lost about 1" of water in one day, I noticed this issue. I contacted the installer and he was out the next day to "fix it". They patched it up with the same pattern of liner, but did not even attempt to line it up and match it with the underlying liner. I am fine with the "temporary fix" but am I right in thinking that I should be entitled to a new liner (and water to refill)? I bought a new pool and expect it to look new, not to have a patched liner already.

The floor and walls of the pool should have been set before the liner was cut :hammer: If there had been ~ 6" of water in the pool before they cut it, there would have been no problem

-Return jet leaks on outside of pool wall: He said he checked all fittings, etc, for leaks after patching the liner. I soon noticed a pretty good leak around the return, in particularly the black o-ring rubber gasket...appears to be mashed down and off center. Do I even attempt to tighten it, or let them deal with it? The weight of the hose running from the filter to the return is very heavy, and appears to put quite a strain on the return / pool wall.

The gasket sounds like it's already pinched, don't bother trying to tighten it more - you'll only make the problem worse :evil: The o-ring is probably trashed by now, the only thing to do is replace it :( The hose should be resting on the ground, it's weight and the movement that happens when the pump turns on or off isn't good for the fittings, the connections nor the hose! They make the hoses in different lengths, get a longer one to fix this problem

-Mountain range on bottom of pool: When the pool was installed, we had been dealing with a lot of rain, thus the ground had been very muddy. He felt like it was OK to proceed with the installation, and continued with around 8 tons of sand as the base. Once they put the liner on and began filling, you could see a few bad spots in the liner, but it didn't look horrible. After it filled, I immediately began backfilling before the next big rain came (I live at the bottom of a cul-de-sac, and receive about 4 neighboring yards of rain run-off). I got a pretty good wall built, enough to divert a fairly decent rain. While doing this, issue #1 occurred (losing 1" of water through tear in liner by return). I noticed quite a bit of sand pushed out near and around the return when the leak occurred. Then this is when I noticed HUGE dips, humps, cracks, etc. in the floor of my pool. I don't know how to compare to others, but there are more bad spots than flat spots. Is this something that can be fixed? Is it something the installer should be responsible for? I believe I did my part in backfilling and did not cause any of the liner floor issues.. :(

It sounds to me that they didn't run a compactor over the floor :hammer: This is just basic common sense, the floor material has to be compacted before dropping the liner :roll:

-Crease in pool wall: I noticed there is about a 1 foot horizontal crease a couple inches from the bottom, that the pool wall didn't push out when filling up. Can this be pushed out now, or do you risk further damage by trying to fix it?

Again, sounds like the floor wasn't done right - I assume that the crease is the liner, if so, the floor is too high there or the cove is not right - the liner simply didn't have anywhere to stretch into

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I will use your responses when I contact the pool installer in the next couple days... :|

It sounds like your pool was installed by hacks (but I guess I shouldn't be too harsh - I wasn't there and haven't actually seen what the issues are). I've given you a few ideas on what's probably the cause for your various problems. I'd approach them with your reasonable concerns on the quality of the job (be ready to allow that everyone can have an off day) and see if they'll drop a new liner after retrowelling the floor and cove and get you a longer hose for the return.

With all the other issues you've got, are the walls at least ~level? It sounds like you got a substandard job done on your pool - I'm around most every day if you want to bounce a few ideas off me or see if what they propose sounds copecetic :)

Good luck with this!!

Thanks waste for the insight.

They did run a packer over the sand, I believe it was called a Wacker Packer. There were just a few foot prints on the edges when they were done, but I never got a chance to see it before they put the liner on.

So as far as cutting the liner, they should have waited until there was 6" of water in it? We had just began filling it when they made the cut...can't believe the skimmer cut-out wasn't affected; yet.

The crease, I believe, is definitely the pool wall. You can feel the metal creased edge, and the liner is "baggy" around the edges, where it is not touching the wall. Can anything be done with this?

So, do I still call the pool installer directly, or does the store I bought it at need to be informed (they contract him out)? I was told to contact him w/in 30 days of install for any issues, then after that to call the pool store. Just making sure I cover my grounds...thanks again.

Just wanted to post a quick update...to fix the above issues, I think at the end of the season, they are going to replace the liner completely (due to the patch job) and when they have that, they will re-work the sand bottom, to straighten/smooth it back out. I will get the for sure word this Wednesday when the pool store owner is back from vacation. If they go this route, are they also responsible for paying for the new fill water that will have to go in? And yes, the pool has been paid for in complete.

Otherwise, enjoying clear BBB water! I had 10 ton of dirt delivered a few days ago, and went to town adding additional backfill to the pool, filling in the Caterpillar tread marks in the yard, and filling in the lake that was created from the Caterpillar and very muddy conditions. I am getting another 10 ton delivered at the beginning of the week, which will go in the mashed down spot beside the pool. We will be tilling it all and smoothing it all out with a minor slope to it to hopefully drain the water around the pool and downhill.

Here are a few pics (the small blue pool is my black lab's...he gets dirty and then gets in and out, both pics had freshwater when the day began!)

Before
1.jpg

During (huge mess beside pool)
2.jpg

After
3.jpg

Now (backfill is coming along, soon to be topped with river rock)
4.jpg

Your pics aren't working for me, but it sounds like you are going to get the problem taken care of - after you're done using the pool!! We will often let something like this go through the swim season and address it in the fall so that the pool owner can have full use of the pool, so I see nothing wrong with what they are proposing! :-D

thenikeman said:
Thanks waste for the insight.

The crease, I believe, is definitely the pool wall. You can feel the metal creased edge, and the liner is "baggy" around the edges, where it is not touching the wall. Can anything be done with this?

You might actually be able to fix this one. I don't know exactly how to do it, so hopefully someone else can chime in with exact directions.

Basically, the crease can be caused by a high spot under the nearest support post(can't remember correct name) or that section of the wall. What you have to do is to take something flat, like a putty knife and get some of the dirt out. From what I remember, when you get enough out, the crease will fix itself.

HTH,
Adam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the posts everyone!

Talked to the pool store owner today, and she said they will cover any issues with installation within a year of the original install. With that being said, they are going to replace the liner and re-work the sand surface while it is out after pool season is done. I asked about who would pay for the water to refill it, and they said they would compensate me with pool chemicals! I had to interrupt that thought of theirs, and after a brief explanation, they said they would pay me cash for the water :goodjob:

So, I'll just have to deal w/ the few flaws for now, but the outlook is definitely looking a lot better now!

thenikeman said:
Thanks for the posts everyone!

Talked to the pool store owner today, and she said they will cover any issues with installation within a year of the original install. With that being said, they are going to replace the liner and re-work the sand surface while it is out after pool season is done. I asked about who would pay for the water to refill it, and they said they would compensate me with pool chemicals! I had to interrupt that thought of theirs, and after a brief explanation, they said they would pay me cash for the water :goodjob:

So, I'll just have to deal w/ the few flaws for now, but the outlook is definitely looking a lot better now!

Sorry you had issues with your p/b, believe me I so know all about it! I would just make sure I get it all in writing. Espeically the water compensation part. Enjoy your new pool!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.