Brand new fiberglass pool with cracks above water line

bauerdr

May 9, 2014
philadelphia PA
We just had our fiberglass pool installed. We haven't even begun to use it but everything is now completed including concrete decking. Yesterday while cleaning and scrubbing the sides we noted 2 cracks. We immediately contacted our pool builder and sent photos. The first reply was basically that the "marks" (they referred to them as marks when they are cracks) were caused by the mold?? We do not buy this and replied that they are cracks where you can feel a popped out edge when running your finger over the cracks. He said they could re-gel coat it but the color may not match. I replied that any unsightly repair on a brand new pool is not an option. The other company owner then replied that a gel coat crack is an easy fix and said you just sand, gel coat and buff. They are saying it is not structural. They also said if I purchased tiles the epoxy would seal the cracks and the tiles would cover them.

We do not want to spend more money to fix a problem that shouldn't even be there. I am very distraught over the whole situation. I don't know why the cracks are there and I don't want an ugly fix or an inadequate fix.

The pool is a Leisure brand, Riviera 34'. They did a 3/8" gravel bed, back filled while filling with water, leveled it several times. I just don't know what happened to cause these cracks. I also don't want anything done that would void our warranty with Leisure.

Here are the cracks- any thoughts? Advice?

photo21_zps0fc42500.jpg

photo11_zps2ca136e2.jpg

And close up of 2nd crack
photo31_zpsf06de0f7.jpg

I'm not sure if those are cosmetic or more serious. If you PB is good, he probably could fill them and make them disappear.

I would be more concerned with the why. I suspect they are caused by settlement of your deck substrate after it was poured. The weight of the deck is pushing down on the lip of the pool causing cracking. That is little more than a guess.

I would have a third party inspect your pool and tell you what is wrong. Someone who knows something about fiberglass pools. Maybe a pool structural engineer.

I would also notify the pool manufacturer about the problem.

You shouldn't have this and they should fix it --- now.

I would also withhold the final payment.

If the builder doesn't start being more upfront and honest I'd call the manufacturer for assistance.

I know nothing about fiberglass pools, so I won't even try to guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.