New season and start of BBB method!

Mar 2, 2014
Cincinnati OH
hi I found this site toward the end of the swimming season last year. I just received my T100 kit in the mail and couldn't wait to try it out. Here are my numbers (along w/ numbers from pool store for comparison):

T100 Pool store

FC 19 10
CC 1 --
pH 6.8 9
TA 90 60
CH 325 --
CYA 41 90

I see a noticeable difference in some of the numbers. Since this is my first time, I wonder if the problem is me :confused:
When I was doing the TA test, I got the sample to turn a lite peach color after about 9 drops (90) ..since the test said it should turn red, I kept putting in drops. Finally after 25 drops and it still being a peachy color, I stopped and didn't want to waste the chemical. Do you think MY TA number is correct?

Also, last year, we fought algae all year.. (never had a problem previous2yrs). that's when I started looking and found TFP. I learned about the relationship between cya and chlorine. At the end of last yr, the pool store said our cya was +/- 100. We drained our pool by about 2/3 and refilled it. I suspect MY cya number is correct with the knowledge of last years cya # (we had been using the 3" discs w/ trichlor) and how it has built over the 3 yrs we had the pool. IF my cya reading is correct, why would the pool store have such a high number?

Today we finished vacumming the pool, scrubbed the sides, etc. OUR water looks better but cloudy (our story all last season). I was thinking I should check my numbers again tomorrow. What should I do to get my water clear?

I have yet to figure how to put my info into a signature so here is some basic info :
Cincinnati OH... 84* today. 24 foot AG pool.

Thanks so much!!

Hi and welcome! Congrats on your new test kit! I've heard that as long as the solution turns a different color whether red, pink or peach, it doesn't matter. So it's probably 90. Check it again tomorrow just to see. :goodjob:

As you can see, your test and the pool store test are wildly different. We don't trust the pool store test for this very reason and that's why we always recommend new pool owners and members to get their own reliable test kit.

So, you have 1CC and that is why your water is cloudy. More than likely something is growing. Read Pool School
and SLAMing Your Pool. Your SLAM level will be 16pp as outlined here in the Chlorine CYA Chart. Before you start, you should bring your pH up with some borax. You can use Pool Calculator Instructions.

What should I do to get my water clear?
1. Stop going to the pool store. Trust your own testing...always. Who knows exactly why they are so far off but it happens pretty consistently.

2. Raise your pH to 7.4 or so using 20 mule team borax.

3. Follow the SLAM process precisely using the article in Pool School and your pool will clear.

Thanks. I am going to read the SLAM process and let you know. I just had gone to the pool store for water testing bc I wasn't sure when I would get my T100 kit. But do think my cya reading is correct since there is such a big difference w/ the pool store? I just wonder since this is my first time doing my own test..(maybe I messed up)

(And cloudy water is how our pool was all last year... cloudy to eventually green.. to clear for a few days to cloudy again..)

Thanks

OK.. I just retested my cya.. it is still at 40... so I guess I am doing ok :D

I retested my FC: it is 17ppm and the CC is now .5... I just added more chlorine and will recheck later tonite. (and the water looks a little less cloudy--maybe bc the FC was high at 19ppm anyway). I will be buying borax at the grocery tonite and add to pool.

You know, I thought this would be hard but so far, so good. Thanks!!!!!!

Hi...Cincinnati OH and thank you all for the warm welcome and all the help. I have a sand filter for my pool. I am not sure of much else. I will look and figure it out tomorrow when it is light again.

I did another retest and here are my numbers:

FC 15
CC .5
pH 7
TA 90
CH 325
CYA 40

I have now tested at least 3 times since Thursday evening (Thurs eve; Friday eve; Sat eve)... since my CC has been at .5 for the last 2 times, is it safe to say I have nothing extra living in my water? (I just now read about the OCLT, so I will retest tomorrow am. )
Also, my FC seems high. Pool Math says it should be between 3-7ppm. I guess I will just let the chlorine level come down a bit before doing anything else?

Last year, when I started reading all this stuff..I have to admit I was overwhelmed by it all but since I have my kit, it really is starting to come together. I thought I would be adding like a gallon of bleach a day but after digesting the Pool calculator the last couple days, on a normal basis, it looks like it may only be a cup or so at a time.

Thanks for everything! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.