How to hard wire my new pump?

Apr 25, 2014
Southern Ontario
Hi folks..

I am in the process of trying to wire up my new 3/4HP Whisperflo pool pump.. I have the pump inside an unfinished ( meaning no panelling or insulation- it has a roof and door/ window intact) pool house with studs visible on all sides which I will call north, south, east, west for ease of clarity..it measures 4' x 9' and is 7' tall.. In the centre of the north wall is hydro which comes up through the floor by plastic conduit, into a receptacle box. My 25 yr old duraglas pump used to have to be manually plugged/unplugged (big pain) and likely not correct for my IG pool.. Not sure... Anyways I know "how" to run the wiring but not sure of the style I should use.. The pump sits unsecured on the concrete floor.. I have a metal junction box on the west wall, 16" off the floor and about 2-3 feet away from the pump.. I don't think it is a good idea to just run a 14/2 cable from the junction box into my pump ( if the pump was accidentally kicked-I could rip live wires out of it) .. So I know I need to secure it and have an idea how I will do it.. Once secured though... Should I run BX CABLE from the metal junction box into the pump? I'd think it would rust with the chemical exposure over time.. But then it seems an odd setup to run plastic conduit from the metal junction box to the pump.. Kind of an inside-outside setup if you understand what I mean (from a wiring standpoint...physically it is completely indoors) .. Any ideas or pictures of a good way to do this??

Thanks everyone- great group of people on here, been a big help so far .. Looking forward to some good ideas..

I was going to secure my pumps to the pad also, but the plumbing keeps them in place. And when I remove the unions, I can slide the pumps around easily for service.

Use a piece of liquid tight flex conduit. You can run individual conductors in the conduit. No need to buy hundreds of feet of single conductor wire for this... either find a piece of romex and strip off the cover and use the THHN wires in your conduit or buy what you need cut to size at big box store. They also sell the connector for each end that will mount on the pump and at the box. Leave enough slack in the conduit to be able to move the pump if you need to for service. 1/2"' conduit and 12 gauge conductors are fine for a 20A circuit. I believe that pump can be wired for 120 or 240? Make sure the pump setting matches what you are providing it.

He's the one that mentioned it was "unsecured on the floor" and is concerned if accidentally kicked it would rip the wires out.
Seems to me that would generally solve both his concerns.
I think you would break your toes before you actually moved the heavy pump with an accidental kick ... even if the plumbing was not holding it in place. :D

I just don't think it matters either way ... could affect the sound ... and as jtech points out, might be easier to work on without the bolts.

... either find a piece of romex and strip off the cover and use the THHN wires in your conduit

While this will work and it has bee done hundreds of times in the past, it is not code compliant. All wire must have its ratings stamped or marked on it. Wires inside a romex sleeve do not have such markings. I don't have my code book with me today but, it states that all devices and components must be of a listed nature. Romex is a listed component as it has the markings on the sheath. The individual wires in the cable are not marked for individual use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For wiring the whip, around here at least Lowes and I think Home Depot sells prewired flex whips of the plastic (I think liquitite) variety in a couple of different gauges in I think 6 ft lengths.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.