Aug 9, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Split by moderator. Please ask questions in your own thread. Thanks, jblizzle

So, I am getting a smaller pool. 18 foot round above ground. I will get pool filled by a water company.

Which test kit should I start with. I'm assuming the water will be at good levels when it's filled.

Hi MermaidMama,

the recommended test kits are the Taylor K2006 and the TF100. No matter how many gallons your pool will have, you will need to test for certain
things, and both of the kits do the trick.

Up front the K2006 cost a little less than the TF-100, however, the TF 100 has more of the needed regents in it so you can do way more tests with the TF 100 than you can with the Taylor kit without running out of test regents. So really the TF 100 is the best overall deal.

both are available at www.tftestkits.net

Thanks Dave! I think I'll go with the TF-100 then. I'm so new to this. Even reading the Pool School and getting started, I need to see the kit in my hands and get a better feel. I know I'll have more questions. Ha! ��

What is a speedsitr?

It's a mixer. :mrgreen: Instead of swirling the regents together, it does it for you. :mrgreen: I love mine as do a lot of members but it's not necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just got my TF-100 test kit. Whoo hoo. No pool to practice in yet. HOPING next week.

The pool store included chemical start up package. Being my first pool, I have no clue and will be learning each step of the way. Will the chemicals they supply be enough to get started? Anything I should have handy?

Looking through this test kit got me a bit nervous. :confused: Hope I am a semi-pro in no time.

OK, so I have read pool school like three times. Something new takes each time. I was telling the hubby about this and he looked at me like "huh? Sooooo we are not using the free chemical package." I told him no, we should start with the TFP Method from the gitgo. He said "we just pour bleach in our pool?" Same thing I thought when I read it the first time. Then I explained how the pool supply stores just change the names, add some extras we don't need and mark the price up. He's on board. ��

So, after reading, it looks like we just need to buy a few jugs of bleach (8% to 12%) and I should probably have some borax on hand.

I also read through my testing kit a couple times. CANNOT wait to use it. Pool will be put in this week or next, so I'm hoping when it us in and it's hands on, it will become more clear and natural. I'm ready to get hands on.

So, bleach and borax to start?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jeff!!! A water company through the pool company are coming and filling the pool, so it won't be my water. I CANNOT wait to start testing. Got a little notebook ready to keep my levels and notes in each day.

I would start reading these articles from pool school.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels
How To Chlorinate Your Pool
Some of the start up chem's you won't need if any.
In the meantime you can practice some of the tests on your fill water if your using your own water. That way you can determine some of those levels. PH, TA, CH. Your tap water will have no CYA.

OK, so I have read pool school like three times. Something new takes each time. I was telling the hubby about this and he looked at me like "huh? Sooooo we are not using the free chemical package." I told him no, we should start with the TFP Method from the gitgo. He said "we just pour bleach in our pool?" Same thing I thought when I read it the first time. Then I explained how the pool supply stores just change the names, add some extras we don't need and mark the price up. He's on board. ��

So, after reading, it looks like we just need to buy a few jugs of bleach (8% to 12%) and I should probably have some borax on hand.

I also read through my testing kit a couple times. CANNOT wait to use it. Pool will be put in this week or next, so I'm hoping when it us in and it's hands on, it will become more clear and natural. I'm ready to get hands on.

So, bleach and borax to start?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jeff!!! A water company through the pool company are coming and filling the pool, so it won't be my water. I CANNOT wait to start testing. Got a little notebook ready to keep my levels and notes in each day.

So excited for you. TFP method works. Last year I had extremely high CYA, started this year w algae bloom. Pool store sold me $200 of products that bleached my liner. When I first got my test kit I was so intimidated I cried. Didn't think I'd figure it out. Didn't take me anytime to learn. Now I love testing my pool and my pool is crystal clear thanks to TFP. Haven't been to a pool sotre in months and don't plan on it unless it's for equipment or a float!

I guess your right, I don't need it. I read people needing it to fix or slam their pool. I just find it crazy that all I need to start is bleach. Like I said I'm a 100% newbie. Take it easy on me. :deal: ha!

I don't have my pool in yet or my fill water. I could test my water, but it would just be practice as it won't be what's filling the pool. A water company is coming out with a truck and filling it.

Why do you need borax on hand? What makes you think you need to raise the pH?

Why not use your kit to test your fill water? (no need for the CYA test though, it is 0)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes!!! Exactly how I felt when I saw my test kit. Thanks for sharing, helps put me at ease that I can be posting similar comments in the near future. This is a really big purchase, don't want to mess it up.

So excited for you. TFP method works. Last year I had extremely high CYA, started this year w algae bloom. Pool store sold me $200 of products that bleached my liner. When I first got my test kit I was so intimidated I cried. Didn't think I'd figure it out. Didn't take me anytime to learn. Now I love testing my pool and my pool is crystal clear thanks to TFP. Haven't been to a pool sotre in months and don't plan on it unless it's for equipment or a float!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.