Divin Daves Hydroseed yard. Any experts ? :-(

Divin Dave

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2013
Longview, Texas
Welp, yesterday was the last large task my pool build and backyard makeover. Nothing really fancy, but suits me and thats all that counts.

Putting down sod was just ridiculously expensive for me and out of the question. Hydroseed seemed like a great and affordable alternative. Blackjack Bermuda (love me some nice bermuda grass, my whole front is bermuda and its awesome).

The hydroseed guys did an excellent job hydroseeding my back yard and I was so happy. The instructions were not to water for 24 hours so the tackifier in the mix could dry and stick to the ground.

Well it didnt get the change to dry. Today it rained and rained and its supposed to rain and thunderstorms for the next 2 days. To say I am heartbroken does not begin to describe how I feel right now. I have worked my hiney off hauling dumptrucks of topsoil, spreading it, raking it, grading it ... and repeat multiple times.

It looks like a mess to me. I am worried the hydroseed will be too wet for too long. Anyone here with much experience about it? Im going to call the hydroseed guy tomorrow, but wanted to know if anyone here has had the same or similar experience and how did it turn out?

Pics of yesterday when they finished. Too dark this afternoon when I got home to get any as it is now.

I hope it works out for you! I have no experience with hydroseeding, but I wonder if the danger isn't in it being too wet (because even moisture is what will be needed for the grass to germinate), but is really in the rain pushing the mixture around, forming clumps and bare spots? That's been a problem for me every time I've seeded my non-level yard. Hope the contractor gives you some peace of mind!

It should be fine. Only real issue would be if you had rivers of watter cutting chanels through the yard. And if that is the case rake them back out and throw a few handfuls of seed down to fill in bare spots. It will grow and look fantastic

It should be fine. Only real issue would be if you had rivers of watter cutting chanels through the yard. And if that is the case rake them back out and throw a few handfuls of seed down to fill in bare spots. It will grow and look fantastic

it rained about 5 inches yesterday. In some places, the mulch is probably 3 inches thick. a LOT of the soil has nothing on it now. More rain in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow too.

Hopefully this will work out ok. if I have to pay to have it done all over again, I will but man, what a pain in the butt!

yeah, its sad aint it?

I sent the same pics, and lots more to the hydroseed guy and he told me a lot of it, even though ugly will be fine but some of the big spots need a touch up. Otherwise it will be realllll slowwwwww to fill in.

he is gonna try and pencil me in sometime mid to late next week, after this weather front is gone and the forecast is clear.

It's raining hard again now. Supposed to rain most of tonight night and tomorrow, then again on Monday. I imagine its gonna get a bit worse. Thinking about building me a boat real quick, just in case.

Looks like you're going to need a do over. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ha! Well Bobby, depends on who you ask.
Here in my part of East Texas, the drought was over last year. Not the case with other parts, but it is here.

We've had to toad stranglers though. Six or so weeks ago, it rained 7 inches in a few hours.
Didnt rain again for those six or so weeks, then another 7 inches a couple days ago.

Its either dry as a bone, or flooding.

Off topic, but I guess the drought is over down there?

welp.
Here is an update.

I have been doing some reading on another forum for lawn care and landscaping. Posted my flooded out hydroseed delimma there. Most of the folks in the industry who saw my post told me give it 3 or 4 weeks before calling the hydroseed guy back. After all, none of the seeds had started to germinate yet. That was almost 2 weeks ago. Since then a lot of germination has started. Anyways..... Ive still been rather dejected over the whole thing. Not necessarily the cost for the hydroseed, but rather my tedious labor put into prepping the ground so it was smooooth. It took me over a month to prep the dirt so the end result would be to my expectations.

Through this whole pool build process, I like many many others had problems with PB's and contractors till witts end. It boggles my mind how these people can lie thrgouh their teeth and smile why doing it, and worse, expect me to belive it.

Anyways, this particular post is a Shout Out, to Mr. Mike Atkins - Mike Atkins Hydroseed from Hallsville Texas.

I got home today at about 5, and Mr Atkins was in process of re-hydroseeding my yard.
I did not call him
I did not ask for a re-do
I didnt not send any texts or emails - yet.

Mr A

welp.
Here is an update.

I have been doing some reading on another forum for lawn care and landscaping. Posted my flooded out hydroseed delimma there. Most of the folks in the industry who saw my post told me give it 3 or 4 weeks before calling the hydroseed guy back. After all, none of the seeds had started to germinate yet. That was almost 2 weeks ago. Since then a lot of germination has started. Anyways..... Ive still been rather dejected over the whole thing. Not necessarily the cost for the hydroseed, but rather my tedious labor put into prepping the ground so it was smooooth. It took me over a month to prep the dirt so the end result would be to my expectations.

Through this whole pool build process, I like many many others had problems with PB's and contractors till witts end. It boggles my mind how these people can lie thrgouh their teeth and smile why doing it, and worse, expect me to belive it.

Anyways, this particular post is a Shout Out, to Mr. Mike Atkins - Mike Atkins Hydroseed from Hallsville Texas.

I got home today at about 5, and Mr Atkins was in process of re-hydroseeding my yard.
I did not call him
I did not ask for a re-do
I didnt not send any texts or emails - yet.

Mr A

Wow that is awesome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.