Instant Pool Water Conditioner dosage

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
I am trying to figure out the correct dosage for "Instant Pool Water Conditioner" so I can put it into my Pool Calculator.

I have seen variously that 1 gallon raises CYA by 40 in 10,000 gallons. That 1 gallon raises CYA by 35 in 10,000 gallons. And that 3.5 oz raises CYA by 1 in 10,000 gallons, which would be one gallon raises CYA by 36.57 in 10,000 gallons. The difference between 35 and 36.57 is not a big deal, but the difference between 35 and 40 seems a bit less accurate than I would like to be.

Does anyone know which of these is the best number to use?

This may seem like a stupid question, but why use conditioner? I have seen clarifier conditioner and maybe that is what you are refering too.

It would be interesting to know, if that is what you are refering too, on the effects of that on your CYA levels. I never really new that using that stuff affects it like that, unless I am totally wrong here? :hammer:

"Instant Pool Water Conditioner" is a liquid form of CYA that is nearly PH neutral. It is noticeably more expensive than the granular form but has gained popularity because it dissolves instantly.

The word "conditioner" is used in various ways in the pool industry. There are other things called "conditioner" that have other purposes.

According to the MSDS here, the product is 35-42% monosodium cyanurate monohydrate (169 g/mole) and 1-2% cyanuric acid (129 g/mole) with the balance being water. The density (specific gravity) is 1.25 g/ml. One gallon is 3.785 liters or 4.73 kilograms of this product which would be 9.8 - 11.8 moles monosodium cyanurate monohydrate and 0.37 - 0.73 moles of cyanuric acid. This is equivalent to 46.2 - 56.8 ounces weight of cyanuric acid and would raise the CYA in 10,000 gallons by 34.6 - 42.5 ppm. So the range of 35 to 40 ppm is probably correct since it does not seem that the percentage of ingredients in the product is that exact. I'd just split the difference and call it 38 ppm for your calculator.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.