Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Instant Pool Water Conditioner dosage

1. Back To Top    #1

Instant Pool Water Conditioner dosage

I am trying to figure out the correct dosage for "Instant Pool Water Conditioner" so I can put it into my Pool Calculator.

I have seen variously that 1 gallon raises CYA by 40 in 10,000 gallons. That 1 gallon raises CYA by 35 in 10,000 gallons. And that 3.5 oz raises CYA by 1 in 10,000 gallons, which would be one gallon raises CYA by 36.57 in 10,000 gallons. The difference between 35 and 36.57 is not a big deal, but the difference between 35 and 40 seems a bit less accurate than I would like to be.

Does anyone know which of these is the best number to use?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Instant Pool Water Conditioner dosage

This may seem like a stupid question, but why use conditioner? I have seen clarifier conditioner and maybe that is what you are refering too.

It would be interesting to know, if that is what you are refering too, on the effects of that on your CYA levels. I never really new that using that stuff affects it like that, unless I am totally wrong here?
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

3. Back To Top    #3

"Instant Pool Water Conditioner" is a liquid form of CYA that is nearly PH neutral. It is noticeably more expensive than the granular form but has gained popularity because it dissolves instantly.

The word "conditioner" is used in various ways in the pool industry. There are other things called "conditioner" that have other purposes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, Sorry about that!

Interesting though on the CYA. If you dont need to use a bunch, then that would be a quick and easy fix to increase CYA.

Thanks Jason.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

5. Back To Top    #5

According to the MSDS here, the product is 35-42% monosodium cyanurate monohydrate (169 g/mole) and 1-2% cyanuric acid (129 g/mole) with the balance being water. The density (specific gravity) is 1.25 g/ml. One gallon is 3.785 liters or 4.73 kilograms of this product which would be 9.8 - 11.8 moles monosodium cyanurate monohydrate and 0.37 - 0.73 moles of cyanuric acid. This is equivalent to 46.2 - 56.8 ounces weight of cyanuric acid and would raise the CYA in 10,000 gallons by 34.6 - 42.5 ppm. So the range of 35 to 40 ppm is probably correct since it does not seem that the percentage of ingredients in the product is that exact. I'd just split the difference and call it 38 ppm for your calculator.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"