AA Treatment effectiveness: Algae Present

It seems I waited to long to open the pool (just finished up new electric) and now have algae. I still would like to run the AA treatment before I open the pool to clear some staining. Is it OK to start the AA treatment while algae is present? Is it less effective then if I were to slam the pool, then let FC drop to 0 with an addition of Poly then do the treatment? Or could I just do the AA treatment and then after I see my results then continue to slam the pool.

The problem with doing as you suggest is that high levels of FC can redeposit the metal stains. So, you should SLAM and pass the 3 criteria to stop. Then add poly quat algaecide, let the FC drop, do the AA treatment, and then slowly increase the FC level and keep sequestrant in the pool.

Definitely SLAM first so when you do the AA you can watch the magic happen! I hear it's instant! :D

Great thanks for the information, just about finished with the SLAM process, but I did have an another question about the AA treatment. So after I am all said an done with the treatment and no longer see the stains, will I have to continue introducing sequestrating agent for the life of the pool to hold the metal from reapplying?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.