Fiberglass stains

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
I have this friend (I know, I know.... :roll: )

But I thought I would put it out there and see what happens, and if he doesn't want to follow the advice then so be it....(you can bring a horse to water... :hammer: .)

He's got a little over one year old Fiberglass Pool. He is currently being pool stored all the way to the poor house.

His stains "began by the stairs and have spread to the whole pool." The water is clear, the stains are tannish orange, and only below the water level. The pool store tested for metals and said there were none, not sure if this is accurate or not. He's "tried everything" - whatever that means....did mention something about dumping 2 gallons of algaecide in there, as if that would help...

I haven't tested his water. Before I attempt to "help", I was just wondering if fiberglass pools are susectable to staining from any other source besides metals?

Metal stains are the most likely cause. If the metals are in the stains then they are not in the water and the water will test very low in metals. Try holding a vitamin C tablet up to a stain for 30 seconds and see what happens.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Okay, will do. Thanks Jason!
Hi , I have the same situation with my Fiberglass pool , what I do I let the Chlorin go somewhat to low level and then I add Citric acid in powder form over the stains ( mine are on the seats and the steps ) so as i pour the pwder over the areas it disapears befre my eyes. The other tric is to put Vit.C in a sock or a bag and hang it in the skimer basket over night and by morning the stains will be gone , I have not done this but friend of mine did it for his Liner pool and it worked. what i learned here is using algecide or anything with copper in it will bring back the stains . Tell your friend to try rubbing the stains with Orange peel and see if it clears it .

rezasaba said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Okay, will do. Thanks Jason!
Hi , I have the same situation with my Fiberglass pool , what I do I let the Chlorin go somewhat to low level and then I add Citric acid in powder form over the stains ( mine are on the seats and the steps ) so as i pour the pwder over the areas it disapears befre my eyes. The other tric is to put Vit.C in a sock or a bag and hang it in the skimer basket over night and by morning the stains will be gone , I have not done this but friend of mine did it for his Liner pool and it worked. what i learned here is using algecide or anything with copper in it will bring back the stains . Tell your friend to try rubbing the stains with Orange peel and see if it clears it .

Thanks! I'm sure the 2 gallons of algaecide he added certainly didn't help the situation. :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.