Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fiberglass stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Fiberglass stains

I have this friend (I know, I know.... )

But I thought I would put it out there and see what happens, and if he doesn't want to follow the advice then so be it....(you can bring a horse to water... .)

He's got a little over one year old Fiberglass Pool. He is currently being pool stored all the way to the poor house.

His stains "began by the stairs and have spread to the whole pool." The water is clear, the stains are tannish orange, and only below the water level. The pool store tested for metals and said there were none, not sure if this is accurate or not. He's "tried everything" - whatever that means....did mention something about dumping 2 gallons of algaecide in there, as if that would help...

I haven't tested his water. Before I attempt to "help", I was just wondering if fiberglass pools are susectable to staining from any other source besides metals?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fiberglass stains

Metal stains are the most likely cause. If the metals are in the stains then they are not in the water and the water will test very low in metals. Try holding a vitamin C tablet up to a stain for 30 seconds and see what happens.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay, will do. Thanks Jason!
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Hi , I have the same situation with my Fiberglass pool , what I do I let the Chlorin go somewhat to low level and then I add Citric acid in powder form over the stains ( mine are on the seats and the steps ) so as i pour the pwder over the areas it disapears befre my eyes. The other tric is to put Vit.C in a sock or a bag and hang it in the skimer basket over night and by morning the stains will be gone , I have not done this but friend of mine did it for his Liner pool and it worked. what i learned here is using algecide or anything with copper in it will bring back the stains . Tell your friend to try rubbing the stains with Orange peel and see if it clears it .
    19000 Gal. Fiberglass Inground 44x18 irregular shape pool
    Heat Siphon heater , Cooper Ind. Ranger Series Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Speck pump, Astral inline Chlorinator
    Aquacheck and TF100 tester
    NJ USA

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rezasaba
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Hi , I have the same situation with my Fiberglass pool , what I do I let the Chlorin go somewhat to low level and then I add Citric acid in powder form over the stains ( mine are on the seats and the steps ) so as i pour the pwder over the areas it disapears befre my eyes. The other tric is to put Vit.C in a sock or a bag and hang it in the skimer basket over night and by morning the stains will be gone , I have not done this but friend of mine did it for his Liner pool and it worked. what i learned here is using algecide or anything with copper in it will bring back the stains . Tell your friend to try rubbing the stains with Orange peel and see if it clears it .
    Thanks! I'm sure the 2 gallons of algaecide he added certainly didn't help the situation.