Help me settle an argument

Sep 12, 2013
Montgomery,Al
Having a small disagreement and actually hope I'm wrong.

I grew up with a pool and 40-50 yrs ago it wasn't uncommon for my mom and dad to let us kids just take our baths in the pool. Soap, shampoo, cream rinse and even shave....well,

Fast forward 50 yrs and knowing what all we know about water chemistry, I'm assuming that's probably not a very good idea. Well,here my problem. My now 83 yr old Mom lives with me and being from the "old school" seems to think it's still okay. She's had knee replacement, hard for her to get in and out of shower and she thinks nothing of sitting on the pool steps with her body wash, shampoos, rinses and shaving. I've ever so gently said I'm not sure how all this reacts with the water. She accuses me of being a "pool expert"...(well water is pretty dang clear)

As I beat myself over the head, :hammer: I'm thinking at her age, just tell her to go for it. She does love to float around on her float! Worth an argument?

Adding all the soap and organic waste is not a good idea. I suppose if you keep enough chlorine in the pool it might be ok (even if kind of gross). I think the soaps could cause issues in the filter that may need to be addressed more often.

Yeah, bad idea.

Not that it's unsafe per se....if you maintain the correct FC level, that bather waste will be oxidized eventually. But the whole purpose of doing it this way is to keep bather waste out of the pool. That's going to put huge demands on your chlorine too.

Plus it's just plain gross.

Yippy......that's what I thought. I've tried to explain that things we did 50 yrs ago aren't necessarily things we should do today. (Growing up, sometimes our pool was so cloudy ya couldn't even see your feet but we swam in it). My pool today is perfectly balanced and I work hard to keep it that way! Mom is now on pool bathing restriction!

Does she bath in it in the winter months too? Yuck....

ahhhh.... older people. you gotta love 'em....... because you dang sure cant school them.

I learned this again over this last weekend at my father in laws house, trying to tell him that his pool needed to be shocked and that he probably had wayyy too much CYA in his water, causing his FC not to be effective, and thats why his water was cloudy and he couldnt see the bottom.

"I know how to take care of a pool, I have owned one longer than you have." He said somewhat angrily as he dumped in a bottle of algaecide into his pool and began to reload his trichlor dispenser :silent:

i love him to death, and am closer to him than my own father..... but I cant teach him a dang thing.....:brickwall:

If this is occasional in a fairly large low bather load pool I don't think your going to see much of a problem. Remember people commonly bring soap and other bather waste into the pool with them on either on their skin on on bathing suits, this is just doing it in a bit of a more concentrated manner with one individual. You also live in an area that measures annual rainfall in feet per year so you should have a fair amount of natural water replacement, assuming a non drought year. The biggest problem I see is that soap is relatively slow to oxidize in a typical chlorine pool situation, still we are talking about what maybe half a pound per year, probably less in 23,500 gallons of water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ahhhh.... older people. you gotta love 'em....... because you dang sure cant school them.

I learned this again over this last weekend at my father in laws house, trying to tell him that his pool needed to be shocked and that he probably had wayyy too much CYA in his water, causing his FC not to be effective, and thats why his water was cloudy and he couldnt see the bottom.

"I know how to take care of a pool, I have owned one longer than you have." He said somewhat angrily as he dumped in a bottle of algaecide into his pool and began to reload his trichlor dispenser :silent:

i love him to death, and am closer to him than my own father..... but I cant teach him a dang thing.....:brickwall:

Lol....y'all I'm sorry .... I was very hesitant about even asking this. But just had to cause I think it's pretty gross too. Seriously thinking of getting her a hot tub, separate from the pool. Says the pool water is too cold anyway! Every time I try to tell her something about the pool, regardless what it is I get, "well I guess vinyl pools are different. We used to just sprinkle powdered chlorine all around the sides and sometimes add acid, vacuum and backwash and that was it. And the powder chlorine never hurt any of us! (That's problem why I'm half blind now).

If this is occasional in a fairly large low bather load pool I don't think your going to see much of a problem. Remember people commonly bring soap and other bather waste into the pool with them on either on their skin on on bathing suits, this is just doing it in a bit of a more concentrated manner with one individual. You also live in an area that measures annual rainfall in feet per year so you should have a fair amount of natural water replacement, assuming a non drought year. The biggest problem I see is that soap is relatively slow to oxidize in a typical chlorine pool situation, still we are talking about what maybe half a pound per year, probably less in 23,500 gallons of water.

Thanks Isaac...extremely light bather load. 2-3 adults. 1 5 yr old every couple of weeks and I'm sure she pees in the pool. But hey that's my grand-baby, so that's ok.

And...poor ole mom doesn't do this everyday of the swim season, just on occasion last year before her surgery. I won't let her swim alone but walked out one day to her lathering her hair and I was like.....um what the h*#| are you doing???

Guess I'll being the convo with, O by the way I was reading an interesting article about beauty products in pools, etc.....

- - - Updated - - -

Glad I gave y'all a good laugh!!! Poor ole Mom

- - - Updated - - -

Bar of soap and a garden hose?

Someone slap me. That was terrible... :taped:

Kiddie pool?

OK. I'll put the tape back on. :taped:

Hey that's a thought...sure would be cheaper than the hot tub I was thinking of...which I would also have to maintain...

Ummmm...if my 70-80 something year old Mom wanted to take a bath in my pool, I'd pass her the soap. Of course it's kinda gross and not ideal to add surfactants to my pool, but it can be any grosser than the neighbor kids peeing in the pool. Plus it's your Mom! And she just had surgery. Id just raise the chlorine level and run the pump when she was done.

Ummmm...if my 70-80 something year old Mom wanted to take a bath in my pool, I'd pass her the soap. Of course it's kinda gross and not ideal to add surfactants to my pool, but it can be any grosser than the neighbor kids peeing in the pool. Plus it's your Mom! And she just had surgery. Id just raise the chlorine level and run the pump when she was done.

Aww thanks Dream. The few times she did it last year I cringed then thought, ya know she may not be here much longer to enjoy her little spa day so who cares. I did of course up the chlorine and run the filter afterwards. My main concern it what the products could do to the chemistry and filter.

I can't imagine her "bather load" is worse than me after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day jumping in the pool. And plenty of "clean" people are bringing lotions and soaps on their skin with them into the water. So I really don't see full on bathing in the pool being much worse. Let her do it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.