Help! Plug is stuck in return fitting.

fponzani

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
I've got an 1.5" plug that won't unscrew from the return fitting on my steps. I suspect that I screwed it in a bit too deep and it hit the glue at the back of the fitting. (This happened on another fitting, but I was able to break it loose.) I don't want to force it and break the fitting, creating more of a problem. I thought about drilling it out as much as possible, right down the middle, then using a 1.5" tap to clean the threads.

Does this sound like a plan? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank - who's trying to get his self-built pool open before the wife and kids send him swimming with concrete shoes.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable way to handle that predicament. I can't think of really any other way to remedy that problem because if the fitting itself is destroyed, you would have an even bigger problem.

Frank, your plan sounds like it would work...but be extremely careful with the threads!!

I've got another way to do it, but the threads are also at risk, which is why I will not post it on any forum (I don't want to get blamed for a pool owner ruining their return from not having the patience to fully follow my advice) If you'd like me to tell you the way I do it, shoot me a pm and I'll pm the info back to you 8) You built your own pool and seem to have a good grasp on the tools, methods and dangers involved in getting this plug out. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.