Questions regarding converting exsisting pool to an infinity pool?

Arrg

May 8, 2014
NJ
I have an older concrete pool and from what it looks like possibly made of cinderblocks. Currently my pool has a liner in it due to major cracks in the structure of the pool wall itself. I am toying with the idea of next time I need to replace the liner just repairing the concrete and if possible turning it into an infinity pool. I am uncertain what type of pool my current pool would be classified as, it is a shallow in-ground pool with a water depth a little over 5' but the wall of the pool is partially out of the ground on all sides, from the most visible side it is about 1 foot high and to the back side it is probably about 2.5 feet up. This design makes me think it might be possible to just lower (cut away) at the backside or just add more concrete to the other sides.

All that aside looking at other infinity pool in hotels and other places, to me it looks like pretty simple idea, the water overflows into a collection camber with two sets of pipes one set of pipes that actually feed the water to the filter and another set of pipes that work as a sort of overflow to drain the water from getting to high. Over the collection caber you add some grating to keep out large debris. Have the return the same as you would in any other pool. Please someone correct me if there is more too it, I am just basing this off of what I have scene and about 10 years of saltwater aquarium hobbyist work.

As for my initial question regarding my pool being converted into an infinity pool does this seem like a possibility?

Thank you for looking!

Welcome to TFP!

It is certainly possible, but it is a little more involved that what you describe. To get enough water flow for the edge to look right there needs to be a rather large pump. Plus auto fill is required on both the pool and the lower collection basin, and some calculating to make sure the basin is the right size, sometimes supplemented with a holding tank.

Thank you,

I am glad I came upon this site instead of just one day tearing everything apart and then trying to understand what I did wrong later. I am currently working on taking my backyard out of 1950 giving it a more modern look and know that the infinity pool is possible will determine a lot of what I am doing around the yard. As I stated I am not just ready to start this project just yet just trying to get a feel for what I will need. I took the winter cover yesterday and the liner is still in pretty good shape it is about 7 years old. Luckily I have some room to work with, the backside of my pool is about 10 feet from my property line, being from NJ there is typically not a lot of space to work with but the previous owner luckily did not put the pool right up against the fence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.