Problem between pump and return

Good day all :)
I looked through all 6 pages and didn't see any posts related to this issue so I apologize if there is 1 already on file.
I bought my house last year and had a pool guy maintain it until I moved in in October. Due to climate I closed it before I could even enjoy it. Everything worked fine and then I closed it using this site and Youtube videos for reference. I back-washed the filter, blew out all pipes, plugged them, and set it to Winterize. Now trying to re-open, balance the water, shock it, ect. but I am having issues with the filter or valve. What follows is everything in the best detail I can think of, so please bear with me. I have the pump on and is full primed, I know this because 1) the sound, 2)the skimmer keeps suction the entire time, keeping the pool surface clean and 3)I can see the water movement through the window. The valve is set on filter, no leaks anywhere, but there is no pressure coming from any of the return jets. If I turn the pump off, wait a few seconds, and then back on, the jets will blow out the air and then water, but for no more than an hour before it loses it again, almost like a clog. I then back-washed the filter for a few minutes, to ensure clog or no clog, rinsed the sand to re-settle it, then filter again. Same thing happens, plenty of suction from skimmer, but loses any return pressure after less than an hour. So I decided to set it to recirculate to by-pass the filter, however water also exits through the waste port. Would this issue with the valve tie in to the problem of losing return pressure after a while of filtering? Or are the 2 problems unrelated? Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
-Randall
p.s. I did not post chemistry because I dumped chems in water before realizing the issue with the water circulation and I don't think the balance has an issue with this?

Welcome to TFP! What is your water quality like? Clear, cloudy, green and mucked up?

If it takes an hour for the flow to be reduced it sounds like the filter is doing it's job. As far as water coming out of the waste port, that sounds like a spider gasket issue. Can you post pictures of your water and equipment?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The water leaking out of waste while on recirculate is likely a problem with the spider gasket in the multi-port valve.

The reduced flow I would guess is due to the filter doing its job and capturing debris. What does your pressure gauge show after a backwash and when the flow appears to reduce?

Finally, when you turn the pump off there should not be any air getting into the system. The pump should stay primed and the filter should stay full of water.

-Very green! Rained heavy the past week then plenty of sunshine.
-Unfortunately now I realize the pressure gauge also is not working, the needle doesn't move with filter or back-wash as it is on the wrong side of the pin. I might be better of just getting a whole new valve altogether as I have read it is difficult to change out the spider gaskets?
-When I turn the pump off, i can hear the water dropping out of the pipes so it does lose its suction. I could understand reduced flow from the return, but all flow from return jets stop altogether.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.