NEWBIE just got new liner and pool filled...

Dec 16, 2012
I'm a complete newbie. My knowledge is from reading pool school and what the pool guy told me in 30 minutes. Got new liner installed and finished filling pool with tap water this morning. I have had the filter on nonstop since I started filling with water. Added just a little clorox bleach this morning just to practice lol. I was thinking about going home at lunch and testing but maybe I should just go to pool store to get CYA (I think thats the only chemical I will need that I haven't bought yet) and add CYA during lunch break so I can go ahead and get started on that and then test when I get home after 5pm?? Pool school says just put it in a sock and put in skimmer basket? how much? Do I always have it set on filter.....when would I ever use recirculate if ever? how measure bleach when pouring from 121ounce jug? best time of day to add bleach? Pool guy told me that my starting/clean pressure is 17% and that I should backwash at 25%

Its 91 degrees today and 92 degrees tomorrow so my family and I are dying to swim at least by tomorrow night! when can I stop running filter nonstop? when will I know its okay to swim?

I will make a signature soon and I also need to post everything the pool store guy told me to verify when I have time later. I will be able to post test results tonight from my laptop.

I have the TF100 test kit.

Thanks guys this is a quick post during a 15min work break. this forum is awesome and I cannot thank you guys enough for sharing your experience with us newbs.

Greenville NC
14k gallon IG vinyl pool
1HP A.O. Smith Pump
Pentair Tagelus high rate sand filter 04C TA-60/60D

Last edited:
Welcome, the first question most will ask is do you have a recommended test kit yet? You can view this page to compare, but in the end the TF-100 is the best for your $$. After you get that then you will know what to put in your pool and how much by using the pool calculator found here I can answer a few of your questions such as I cut a old milk jug open and marked lines in increments of 5 oz up the side to measure my chemicals. I also bought my CYA from home depot since most of the time the pool store has higher prices. With the CYA your right about putting it in a sock and hanging it in the skimmer basket, and every now and then walk by and give it a squeeze to help along the process.

Again welcome and others will have their 2 cents on the other things.

I bought a couple of plastic measuring cups from wally world for measuring ... I only use glass measuring cups in the kitchen so the plastic was to make sure they were never confused with each other. I use a 1 cup for getting water samples and the 2 cup for measuring bleach.

I'm not sure I would add the CYA in the skimmer basket though ... I put it in an old sock and hang it in front of the return ... positioned out so that it doesn't sit on the liner.

I'm in NC too ... and I am jumping in the pool as soon as it hits 90 today! ... with the water only at 74 it will cool me off really really fast!

Welcome. Definitely grab a TF100. You're going to need it to keep you out of the pool store. Use pool math to calculate how much CYA to add. You can also pick it up at Wally World. It's called Stabilizer/Conditioner. Don't even bother checking the CYA til sometime next week as it takes awhile to register. Put it in the sock and like BNighGrow stated... give it a squeeze here and there. Most people just hang it over the return buy tying it off to the pole and letting it hang there.

I would also say, GO SWIMMING! :mrgreen:

I'm a complete newbie. My knowledge is from reading pool school and what the pool guy told me in 30 minutes. Got new liner installed and finished filling pool with tap water this morning. I have had the filter on nonstop since I started filling with water. Added just a little clorox bleach this morning just to practice lol. I was thinking about going home at lunch and testing but maybe I should just go to pool store to get CYA (I think thats the only chemical I will need that I haven't bought yet) and add CYA during lunch break so I can go ahead and get started on that and then test when I get home after 5pm?? Pool school says just put it in a sock and put in skimmer basket? how much? One 4 lb canister of CYA will take you to about 34, which is good enough for now.

Do I always have it set on filter.....when would I ever use recirculate if ever? Recirculate would be used when you are clearing a swamp. You're starting clean, so I don't see you having to use it at all this season.

how measure bleach when pouring from 121ounce jug? Measuring cup or pitcher. Just not glass. Or make your own.

best time of day to add bleach? Whenever the pump will be on so it mixes well.

Pool guy told me that my starting/clean pressure is 17% and that I should backwash at 25% Too late, in my opinion. 25% rise is time to backwash. So 21 or 22 psi.

Its 91 degrees today and 92 degrees tomorrow so my family and I are dying to swim at least by tomorrow night! when can I stop running filter nonstop? when will I know its okay to swim? You can stop filtering 24/7 now. There's an article in Pool School that discusses it. It's okay to swim when the pH is between 7.2 and 7.8 and the FC is 3 or better.

I will make a signature soon and I also need to post everything the pool store guy told me to verify when I have time later. I will be able to post test results tonight from my laptop.

Thanks guys this is a quick post during a 15min work break. this forum is awesome and I cannot thank you guys enough for sharing your experience with us newbs.

Greenville NC
14k gallon IG vinyl pool
1HP A.O. Smith Pump
Pentair Tagelus high rate sand filter 04C TA-60/60D
Have you invested in a proper test kit yet?

Welcome to TFP!!! I will answer all you questions in brief below in red.
I was thinking about going home at lunch and testing but maybe I should just go to pool store to get CYA (I think thats the only chemical I will need that I haven't bought yet) and add CYA during lunch break so I can go ahead and get started on that and then test when I get home after 5pm??
You will find stabilizer/conditioner at Walmart for a lot cheaper than the pool store. But, you are right you should add it soon.

Pool school says just put it in a sock and put in skimmer basket? how much?
That is correct (I used a T-shirt). And keep the pump running until it is dissolved. You should use PoolMath to determine how much is required to get you us to 30-50ppm.

Do I always have it set on filter.....when would I ever use recirculate if ever?
Normally on Filter. Recirculate can be useful if you end up with algae and can not be around to clean the filter when needed.

how measure bleach when pouring from 121ounce jug?
I used to just guess to the nearest 1/4 bottle. Others get a large plastic measuring cup. It does not need to be exact.

best time of day to add bleach?
Makes little difference, but ideally in the early evening so the sun is not as intense. Make sure to run the pump around an hour after any chemical addition.

Pool guy told me that my starting/clean pressure is 17% and that I should backwash at 25%
We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. If your clean is 17psi, then backwash around 21psi. Waiting too long drastically reduces flow rate.

Its 91 degrees today and 92 degrees tomorrow so my family and I are dying to swim at least by tomorrow night! when can I stop running filter nonstop?
Actually there is not reason to be running non-stop now, other than if you add CYA to the skimmer. Squeeze the sock often and get it dissolved. Or hang the sock in front of a return jet.

when will I know its okay to swim?
Your pool is full of the same water you bathe it. As long as you have the recommended levels of FC (as a function of your CYA level ... see the FC/CYA Chart) then it is safe.

we swam for over 2 hours and had a blast. probably took me 20 minutes before I could get my whole body into the water due to the water temperature but after that I was fine. I hadn't really swam in 15 years and was very rusty. 7' deep end is kind of disappointing for me because I am 6'5" and could stand on tippy toes at 7' part...even hit my foot on the bottom after performing a cannonball one time. Did a front flip into pool but chickened out on doing a back flip like I used to do all the time.

before we swam I tested and if I did it right ph looked like it was inbetween 7.2 and 7.5 and the total chlorine looked like it was on the 2 4 window. Do both sides of that test need to be filled EXACTLY to the line on each side because it was almost impossible for me to get it perfectly level with the line on both sides at the same time. after testing always rinse off test cells with tap water?

what is the best brush for me to get for my vinyl liner the pool guy told me the one the previous owner had was for a concrete pool and too hard???

I will probably do more tests tomorrow and add 4lbs. cyanuric acid I bought 6lbs. at Lowes today. thanks for all the great info guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The amount of water does not really matter for either the OTO or the pH test (unless you are doing the acid demand test). You can also use different number of drops if it helps read the colors.

Do both sides of that test need to be filled EXACTLY to the line on each side because it was almost impossible for me to get it perfectly level with the line on both sides at the same time. after testing always rinse off test cells with tap water?

A pool brush with nylon bristles will do fine for vinyl pool. Ones for gunite have steel bristles on them.
something similar to this http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-20137-18-inch-polypropylene-bristle-wall-brush/20137.htm
a LOT of folks here recommend the whale wall brush. This thing is much easier to use than the regular one. The flap on the thing pushes the brush against the wall and that makes it much easier on your back.
http://www.mypoolyard.com/product_i...18res-p-5117?gclid=CPDemMPqnb4CFaNj7AodrQwApA

The water doesnt need to be perfect on the line, but needs to be close I reckon. The easiest way to get it there is to fill the thing, then tip it over to get it closer, the use your finger and flick the side of the plastic thing. Flick it hard enough and a drop of water will jump out the top. Takes a little practice to get the hang of it.

Rinse with tap water is fine. Right before you test, fill and rinse a couple times with pool water, then test.

A pool brush with nylon bristles will do fine for vinyl pool. Ones for gunite have steel bristles on them.
something similar to this http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-20137-18-inch-polypropylene-bristle-wall-brush/20137.htm
a LOT of folks here recommend the whale wall brush. This thing is much easier to use than the regular one. The flap on the thing pushes the brush against the wall and that makes it much easier on your back.
http://www.mypoolyard.com/product_i...18res-p-5117?gclid=CPDemMPqnb4CFaNj7AodrQwApA

The water doesnt need to be perfect on the line, but needs to be close I reckon. The easiest way to get it there is to fill the thing, then tip it over to get it closer, the use your finger and flick the side of the plastic thing. Flick it hard enough and a drop of water will jump out the top. Takes a little practice to get the hang of it.

Rinse with tap water is fine. Right before you test, fill and rinse a couple times with pool water, then test.

thanks I bought the whale brush. pool guy told me to brush once a week but I just read somewhere that I should brush 2 times a day with a new liner?
I'm adding 4lbs CYA in a sock in front of a return in the deep end is it okay to swim while its there? thanks!

thanks I bought the whale brush. pool guy told me to brush once a week but I just read somewhere that I should brush 2 times a day with a new liner?
I'm adding 4lbs CYA in a sock in front of a return in the deep end is it okay to swim while its there? thanks!
I've never read 2X before. Maybe if you have a new gunite pool, but I don't know why you would with vinyl. It's either wrinkled or it's not. For you, brushing is the aquatic equivalent of dusting. Don't ask me why, but dust clings to walls.

Yes, it's safe to swim with the CYA in a sock. It's probably not a good idea to toss it around playing football with it, or stick your face right up next to it, though.

Brushing once or twice a week is what you should be doing regardless. People don't brush their pools enough! As far as 2x's a day, that's for newly plastered pools. :goodjob:

please help ASAP?!?!

ealier today the ph read 6.8 and total cholorine was almost clear so I think I over compensated and added way too much bleach. I looks like gas floating on top of the pool. Here are my readings now please help thanks!

ph 7.5

total chlorine - bright orange

22.5 fc

1.5cc

cya - had to go to 20 pretty much to obscure the dot. Pool just completely filled Thursday morning of last week. Started adding CYA Saturday Morning and it has now finally completely dissolved.

Last edited:
please help ASAP?!?!

ealier today the ph read 6.8 and total cholorine was almost clear so I think I over compensated and added way too much bleach. I looks like gas floating on top of the pool. Here are my readings now please help thanks!

ph 7.5

total chlorine - bright orange

22.5 fc

1.5cc
You mean like smoke on the water, or that rainbow sheen spilled oil has when it's in water?

Your pH reading is useless with that high FC. So it's probably still low. But let the chlorine burn off tomorrow in the sun and when it gets below 10, recheck pH and adjust it.

test results:

FC - 8.0
CC - 0.5
ph - 6.8
total chlorine - bright yellow

what do now just add some clorox to bring up ph? My wife and kid want to swim tonight will that be possible?

how long should I be running the pump every day?

thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.