Another Intellichlor

Aug 28, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Last year our Intellichlor IC40 died. For the past year, I've been using a floater with tabs and I've gone back and forth whether or not to replace it. I've read so many pros and cons and have talked to so many people about it I can't seem to gauge a definitive yay or nay. Per some urging from the Mrs., I decided to buy another one. Considering how they eventually fail it's seems to be a matter of simply trying to get the most out of it as possible.

That being the case, does anyone have suggestions to prolong the Intellichlor as long as possible? I really don't want to drop $500 every two or three years.

Thanks.

I went back and tried to get as much info from your previous posts. When you can, try to put as much info about your pool in your signature and your location in your profile.

I'm trying to get a full picture of your situation but I saw previous posts involving and then not involving a pool service. I also noted several different ways that chlorine was/is being added to your pool. Paying for chemicals, a pool service all while using an SWG is not cost effective. My yearly chemical bill is less than $40. When my SWG wears out, I will definitely replace it.

I think replacing your IC40 is a fine investment. That cell has plenty of chlorinating power for your 12,000 gallon pool. You should be able to get a way with it running it at less than 50% for 5-6 hours a day. That will really extend cell life.

The most critical issue now is having a firm grasp on the concepts in Pool School. Failing to keep your levels right is going to affect your cell's lifespan too. You need one of the recommended test kits if you want to be successful. What would I do? First, get your levels to where they need to be and become proficient with testing. Second, replace the SWG after getting your water balanced. Once you get everything dialed in, your cell should provide you with several seasons of a trouble free pool. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.