big hole in liner-need advice

Feb 23, 2011
Northeast OK
I thought I was off to a great start this year, and I was. My water is almost clear and I thought in another day or two the shock process would be over. I noticed a lot of water loss and discovered a large slit near the edge of the pool (not in a seam). It is about 4 inches long. We got a repair kit at Wal-Mart because we had no other immediate options. After applying the patch, the leak appears to have stopped but now the hole has spread apart about 1-1 1/2 inches. So in stead of a slit we have a big hole with a patch that is just covering it. I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to patch a hole this size?
2. Can I apply a much larger patch over the smaller one?
3. If so, where can I get the best patch? I have seen recommendations for Boxer 100.

This is only our 4th year on this liner. Very disappointing.

Hi curleah! Can you post a pic of this hole and it's location. If it's spreading and tearing more, you may have to replace it but I can't say for sure without looking at it. You can certainly go over it again with the BOXER Glue and a bigger patch and rounding the corners on the patch. I like to patch 3 times with the last patch being bigger than the first. Can you also update your signature with your pool specs and put your location in your profile? We won't stalk you... :mrgreen: It's just very helpful to glance at instead of asking you every time you post. :goodjob:

Thank you for your response.

Ok, I will post a pic tomorrow. I am not sure what happened to my signature? I have been a member since 2011 and had all my specs entered. I will try to figure that out too. We have a 33 ft. above ground pool and I would say the hole is on the floor about 8-10 inches away from the wall. Like I said, I will post a pic tomorrow.

We upgraded the site and a lot of sigs got messed up and some poofed. Sorry about that.

photo 2.jpg
I don't know how well you can see it but this is the best I was able to do. The hole is about 1.5 inches wide by 4-5 inches long. The patch seems to be holding as there is no standing water around the pool and the level is rising. I am thinking I need to apply another bigger/better patch over the top. It was a cut/slit but after applying the patch it spread apart.

33ft. above ground pool
sand filter
25,000 gallons

Curleah - I had a similar situation about two years ago, and it came from my own chem mismanagement - the floor of my liner had brittle spots that kept getting holed, while other areas seemed pretty much OK. The walls seemd very OK. It got to the point where I was patching the patches, etc. A July 4th party with a closed pool (a square foot tear at the bottom of the ladder) meant a drain and a new liner.

Then I went TFP and haven't regretted a thing - except for that one wrinkle I didn't pull out in time............

hope this all works out for you!

I am not sure chemically what I could be doing wrong that would cause this. I have been doing the BBB method for 3 years now. I am thinking I may have done it wrecklessly with my pool brush. I do have trouble with constant PH rise and I had to pour 2 gallons of muriatic acid in before the shock process to get it down to 7.2. I checked the PH this morning since I had the filter off yesterday and hadn't added any bleach for 2 days. It is at 7.2. My Chlorine is at 6ppm this morning. As you can see in the photo I do have trouble with some calcium scaling on the walls. Nothing like last year but it is there again...

Not sure if you have an overlap liner or not curleah but you can cut a nice piece off the overlap liner if you have excess and use it as the patch. You won't see the patch as much. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.