Do I need a second skimmer and return?

Mar 26, 2014
Central Flordia
Hi guys,

I am having an 18x34 Doughboy installed. 54" sidewall, no deep end. My pump is a Waterway Econo-Flo VSA-165:
http://www.waterwayplastics.com/pro...-pumps/econo-flo-vsa-165-variable-speed-test/

When I bought the pool, I did not know much about skimmers/returns. It comes with only one skimmer and return. The lead guy installing it mentioned it would be better for a 2nd return and skimmer to aid in circulation. He said while one would get by, my large pool would benefit greatly from a second, especially because there are a lot of trees around.

I called up the guy that sold it to me and his thoughts were that it would be beneficial, but not overly necessary because they up-sized my pump to one for an in-ground pool, and it should be more than enough to circulate the water well. He said he'd give the installers a 2nd skimmer in the morning so that they would have it in case I decided to add it. The cost is $130 for it, plus whatever they charge to install it.

Thoughts?

My pool is bigger with only 1 skimmer. That is pretty common. If the skimmer is located at the predominantly downwind side of the pool, 1 is probably fine. Do I wish that I had 2? Often, when the wind in blowing all the junk to the wrong end of the pool :D

Certainly not required, but could be nice, plus with 2 suction lines your head loss will be less and you will get higher flow rates.

Unfortunately, getting a bigger pump is not usually a good thing. We typically recommend getting a smaller 2-speed because if will use a lot less power than a larger single speed pump. For a basic pool that this, a 1HP 2-speed would be plenty for circulation and filtration.

The reason they up-sized the pump is that it is hard piped about 30 feet away. It's variable speed, not sure if that helps in the 'less power' department?

I guess I will wait to see how much they will charge and decide then. We have quite a lot of trees around though, I'm thinking two skimmers would be nice. Here's a pic of the current progress... you can get an idea of how bad it is...

IMG_2052.jpg

Oh, well if it is a VS pump, then you will be able to turn the speed way down to save money on power. Although if your electric rates are not high, usually a VS will not save enough power over a 2-speed to warrant the higher initial cost.

I went ahead and gave them the OK to install a second skimmer and return. I couldn't pass it up for the cost and it's now or a pain-in-the-butt later. I'm having them put a valve beneath the skimmers so I can turn one off to maximize suction on the other when I vacuum.

I'd of done the same thing, especially with the oval pool. Keep the pics coming! :cool:

Second skimmer & return has been awesome. I am really glad I went with it. I am not sure one skimmer would keep up with the amount of pine needs and leaves we have. It helps a lot with the circulation and because of our large pump I couldn't imagine it running on it's highest RPM with just one intake. The returns already feel like a water jet at that speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.