Newbie pool owner and TFP member!

Apr 22, 2014
Naperville IL
Hey all, just wanted to say hello. I'm a new pool owner and also new to the site..we bought a house that had a pool. We weren't looking to have one, but here we are. I already have my test kit and speed stir and through the tutelage and help of my long time friend Smykowski, I already have our pool open. I am currently SLAMing the pool, which to be quite honest is a bit of work, but I look forward to having the chemistry under control. I've been taking pictures and will post them when I have a chance. Just wanted to say hi and I look forward to doing this the opposite of the pool store way! ;)

Welcome Sterling3316! You have a great friend helping you out! Good for you for ordering the recommended test kit! We're here to help you so if Symkowski isn't around, we'll always be! :mrgreen: Hope you enjoy TFP and TFPC instead of the pool store way!

ok, so a few minor setbacks... When Smykowski was here we noticed a slight leak between the filter and the pump. I tried teflon tape and ptfe thread compound to no avail. I proceeded to be my gorilla self and over tighten it resulting in a worse leak. So I took the entire thing apart and noticed a hairline fracture inside the male fitting that attaches to the pump. After some research I found the part at a local store and replaced it without a problem. The part is the Perflex Valve or 3 way valve that has the handle on it to switch from filter to waste. Problem solved, right? Nope, still the same leak at the same coupling (although not as bad as when I decided to crank on it!). So, does that mean that the female coupling on the pump housing itself has a hairline fracture as well? And if so, is it possible to replace that portion of the pump? Also, other than water loss (which is a small drop about every 10 seconds) are there any negative effects I should be worried about? Thanks!

If you are only dealing with a drop every 10 seconds or so, I would not worry about it, often over time such slow drips will fix themselves as calcium deposits , etc are left behind. If it is still dripping or the dripping gets worse in a couple of months then you may want to look into it closer. Depending on location you may want to put a bucket under it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.