What is shelf life of R-0600 ?

Mrlittlejohn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 17, 2013
I purchased a kit maybe a year ago now. My testing of the clorine shows 5+ ppm. I test every 3 days of so once it gets warm. I take a bottle of water in to my local pool maintenance/supply to verify my tests. Today, they told me I was 1.5 ppm. I was confused. I went back home and used the Taylor K-1000 kit that I purchased from here along with the standard inclusive test kit and I read again 5+ ppm. I also used an older OXO kit I had and it showed real high.

I took another bottle or water in along with my test kit and explained my concern. He then used his Taylor professional drop kit and tested the water, showing 1.5 ppm. He used a strip test again also showing 1.5 ppm. I then showed him my test results with water I just brought in and he said the reagant must be old.

Could my reagant be bad already?

Mike

If his "professional" Taylor kit was a DPD test where he used a comparator, then high FC levels bleach out the DPD reagent so one measures an artificially low reading. As for the test strip, that depends on the type of test, but if it is again a pink/red type of test that may be DPD, it too would get bleached out.

If you purchased a kit here, such as the TF-100, then why aren't you reporting a FAS-DPD accurate reading? Or is the 5+ because you didn't want to see how much higher it actually was when you used 10 drops for a 10 ml sample? If the OTO reagent went bad for that test, I wouldn't think that it would report too high.

See the Taylor link Recognizing a Compromised Reagent. Unfortunately, they don't mention the R-0600 OTO reagent.

The test he did used 2 chemicals, resulting in a pink water color to read clorine levels.

The strip was green on the pad for clorine, so I guess that is a different test.

I did purchase the TF-100 kit, but am not too familiar with all it has to offer. I will look at the directions to see if I can do another test for higher levels. I am not too savy yet with this kit and what it can tell me.

Thanks for your inputs,
Mike

The lifetime of the various reagents is very dependent on storage conditions. Ideally you want cool and dark with little temperature variation. About the worst case is leaving them out in the sun.

R-0600 is one of the organic dye reagents. Collectively, the organic dyes have the shortest shelf life. In practice, if stored carefully they can last two years or more, if left in direct sunlight on a hot day they can go bad in less than a week.

Nothing to wonder about ... your FC is 5ppm and your CC is 0ppm.
Stop asking other people to test your water and trust your kit ... it is better than most "professionals" use.

My reasoning for having my water tested there is to double check MY test readings. I don't trust myself to be sure I am doing the test right. I am not going to change my salt system settings as suggested by him. I do purchase my supplies from them and they always treat me more than fair. When I had my pool resurfaced, they were half the price of the company that installed my pool and gave over 3 times the warranty with it.

I ordered a new K1000 kit, as it was cheaper than buying the 2 reagents seperately. Sounds funny, but it was.

Thanks everyone for your inputs ! ! !

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If his "professional" Taylor kit was a DPD test where he used a comparator, then high FC levels bleach out the DPD reagent so one measures an artificially low reading. As for the test strip, that depends on the type of test, but if it is again a pink/red type of test that may be DPD, it too would get bleached out.

If you purchased a kit here, such as the TF-100, then why aren't you reportin g a FAS-DPD accurate reading? Or is the 5+ because you didn't want to see how much higher it actually was when you used 10 drops for a 10 ml sample? If the OTO reagent went bad for that test, I wouldn't think that it would report too high.

See the Taylor link Recognizing a Compromised Reagent. Unfortunately, they don't mention the R-0600 OTO reagent.
He doesn't have a tf-100, he has a taylor k-1000 soon to be two of them

I think chem geek was referring to the pool business I went to.

I will have a second K-1000 kit, but additionally I have the TF100 kit. The K-1000 cam with my TF100 and it says to keep it by the pool and use frequently for base readings.

Thanks timerguy
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.