Decreasing Flow Over Time

KGuy

May 7, 2014
Kingston, ON
Hi,

I am seeking help with a flow question. When I run my new Intellipro VS pump at 2600 rpm for a 12 hour period I find that my flow reduces gradually over time by quite a bit. If I turn off the pump and restart it at 2600 rpm the flow resumes to the expected rate and then again declines after time. I use a cartridge filter and psi on the cartridge container remains at 20 psi.

My heat pump will turn off due to lack of flow over. Also, I note that my deck jets only spray half the expected normal distance after time.

Could someone help pointing my thinking in the right direction so that I may figure out why my flow rate may be decreasing over time?

Thank you.

Hi,

The pump basket view port accumulates a bit of air over time. When I stop the pump the bubble is not large enough to cover the entire view area. I am not regularly seeing bubbles air in the return to the pool; just at startup.

Thanks!

Does your pressure guage go to zero when pump is off? Is your starting pressure 20 and it never increases? What does your water look like?

Where JohnT and I are both going with this is your filter is probably doing exactly what it is supposed to do.....filter dirt (often invisible) and debris from your pool.

Have you inspected the cartridge? Tell us what you saw.

Hi Dave,

The starting pressure is 0. When the pump gets to 2600 rpm the pressure goes to 20 psi. Strangely as the flow rate decreases over the period of time the pressure remains at 20 psi on the cartridge container. 20 psi is within the expected normal pressure for the flow rate I`ve been used to in the past years.

I am able to move the psi upwards if I increase the rpm of the pump.

My pool water is relatively clear. My filters were cleaned with a filter cleaner before opening the pool and I have recently rinsed them off once since.

Thanks.

Confirm that it is a VF pump and not the typical VS pump?

Flow would decrease with a VS pump as the filter got dirty, but with a VF pump the pump would automatically increase the RPM to maintain a specific flow rate which would in turn keep raising the filter pressure.

From your description it sounds like you actually have a VS pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.