Opening bromine pool (first time)

May 6, 2014
York, Maine
So I live in Maine and purchased a home during the winter time. There is a 20x40' in ground vinyl pool which had 2 feet of snow on top of the cover when I purchased the home. The pool is a bromine pool. Well I looked under the cover and the water is green and it looks like algae is on the bottom. I tried calling every pool company nearby and all of them are booked till the middle of June to open pools.

I have been reading the forum and understand it might take a week to go from green to clear. I am trying to have my pool open by memorial day so I am going to open it myself this weekend. The pool store sold me 4 bags of shock and said to uncover the pool, raise water level, start the pump, put in shock and just clean the pool out. The told me to bring them a sample after this and they would sell me the chemicals I need.

Since this is a bromine pool is the TF-100 test kit something that would be useful. I have never owned a pool but I am going to give it a shot and hope for the best. Been doing my research about openings the last few weeks and due to no pool company support till June I am not going to wait. Any one with any advice feel free to chime in. I will post pictures of the equipment and the pool later this week once I get some time.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How sure are you that this is a bromine pool? That is not very common.

I think the TF-100 would still work for you, the multiplier for the FC and CC is just different for bromine that chlorine, but all other tests are the same.

Honestly, I am not 100% sure how you clear a bromine pool exactly. Usually we say to follow the SLAM Process, but I am not sure if that would need to be modified for your case.

Welcome... Waiting to see a response on how you know it's bromine?

Ok so I worked on opening the pool this weekend. So I took off the cover took the brush to the bottom to see how thick the algae was.
photo 1.jpg

I found a pool guy who helped me start it up saturday and gave me the chemicals for start up. He said to just treat it as a chlorine pool and he said not to put the bromine tabs in. Also I have a DE filter that he said I should switch to a sand filter. After it was running the filter was clogging like every 10 minutes until I gave up and tried again on sunday. Here is a picture of my DE filter and the pool now that chemicals have been added.

photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg

The pool is semi clear on the shallow end and the deep end I still cant see the bottom. I was going to try vaccuming for the first time today. I assume I am going to have to open the drain filter on my filter when I vaccum and add more DE when I finish. My question is as a pool novice like myself who is having alot of trouble with the DE filter should I switch to a sand filter? How much roughly would it cost a sand filter including installation?

The filter is doing its job. DE is very efficient so it traps a lot of that gunk quickly. A sand filter will also clog quickly when you have the mess you started with, although it is easier to backwash.

I would stick with the DE filter and use this as motivation to not let the pool get an algae bloom again ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.