New seal and pump motor is still leaking.

steelman93

Bronze Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
SE TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Late last year I had to replace the motor on my Whisperflo pump due to a bad bearing. I replaced the seal when I did the change, but not the impeller. It leaked for a short time when I started it up, but stopped pretty quickly (go figure) and then never leaked for the rest of the season.

I started up this year and it was leaking from the get go. Assuming I didn't do the seal quite right I took it to the pool supply place and they installed a new seal in the end plate and the impeller. Put it back together and it is still leaking. I called the place and they assured me that it was not their work. I can see that the leak is at the shaft, not the gasket. I took it apart and put an o-ring on the screw that holds the impeller onto the motor shaft.

In addition to this there are small bubbles coming from the pool return jets. I put two new drain plugs in so they could be leaking, but I am assuming that the leak is at the pump/motor seal....but not sure.

Any suggestions on what to do next? The pool place said to bring it all in, but the PVC connections are all glued and the motor is a giant pain to wire because it is run through conduit with not much slack. Any suggestions are appreciated. When I installed the end plate I put the bolts in on a diagonal pattern and snugged that way so I am pretty sure the cover is not mechanically deformed by uneven torquing of bolts.

Appreciate any advice.

Can you post pictures of where you see the leak?
Air entering the system would be a problem on the suction side, but water coming out is usually on the pressure side ... could be multiple problems.

Steel man, I'm I'm the electric motor repair business

You probably have a type 6 mechanical seal, does the seal ride on the shaft or the impeller ? Most times the seal runs on part of the extended part of the impeller and if it's worn out then it will leak. If the pump was run dry for a short period of time it wears out, you may need to replace the impeller as well

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.