Baby Ruth incident

May 13, 2007
My wife just came in with the six year old granddaughter and we apparantly had a Baby Ruth incident. She wasn't watching close enough I guess. Any way there were two regular size and on bite size "candy bars" in the pool. They were quit solid and came right out (she made the six year old dive for them).

Until now I have followed BB princples for the last 18 months and have never had to shock the pool. Just wondering what I need to do. I have added 2.5 gallons of 6% Bleach.

I went to the store and bought two double packs of Clorox total of 5.6 Gallons (I made the six year old carry one. She dropped it three times) Hopefully its enough, but I know where to get more.

Before the Incident my numbers were

FC 3
CC 0
PH 7.7
CYA 70
Alk 68

Havent checked on numbers now but need to know how long the pool should be closed and how high I need to bring the chlorine for how long to be considered "safe".

Re: CYA Sticky

Rockcrawler said:
Here is the CYA chart sticky by Chemgeek

sticky.php?s=2346

OK, I read that lots of good information, but I only speak English. According to the pool calculator The 2.5 gallons of bleach I added would bring me to about 13 PPm is that high enough ? And how long would I need to hold that.

Sorry I have never had to shock my pool before.

EskimoPie said:
Ugh, you made the 6 year old dive into the pool and retrieve her own poop by hand? That's disgusting... was it a punishment? Why not just grab a net and scoop it out?

Actually the wife made her do it, Though I think it was a good Idea. This was not an accident. She was afraid if she got out swim time was over, as everyone else was already out of the pool.

You think she will do it again ? Consequences.

Speaking of consequences, there are consequences of having a small child swim in and pick up feces.

The physical ones you seem to be aware of which is why the thread on shocking the pool has come about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.