Fixing up old liner pool, concrete patio cracking, walls bowing.

May 7, 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. I purchased my first home with a pool a little over a year ago knew it would need some upgrading as the patio/concrete around the pool had some minor cracking... A year later and the situation has gotten much worse with the pool walls bowing inward and many more cracks. I decide to remove the concrete and discovered that it had been placed on top of an old stone patio surrounding the pool. The stone has helped trap in water over the years which Im sure has contributed to the bowing of the walls. I would really like to keep the pool, but I'm quite limited on the budget this summer. My idea at the moment is to remove all the concrete, place french drains around the pool and sod up to the side of the pool wall. Im hoping this will somewhat mitigate the problem for a few years.

Here are some image of what everything looked like at the beginning, where I'm at now, and the concept I'd like to try and get close to.

EDIT: it would only let me attach 2 images, so here's a link to the rest: http://imgur.com/a/F0MTm/

Are the french drains a good idea, am I too far gone with the pool walls, am I in over my head? Any help feedback would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 120
Welcome tulsamatt! I can't help you with your issues but it looks like you've got your work cut out for you. Someone should be around soon. Good Luck with it and no matter what you do, keep us updated. There have been many, many rehabbed pools overhauled here over the years. It looks like yours is vinyl.

Do you know the actual condition of the walls? Are they completely bowed from top to bottom? Normally one reason for the deck is to keep water away from the pool.

There are folks with a lot of experience on here. They may have a different view. But I'm not sure you can fix the bowing other than by removing the soil behind the walls. Even that seems like a gamble and would depend on the condition of the walls.

Have you had a pool builder (or three) out to look at it?

It looks like you have concrete walls and that they are bowed likely due to the expansive clay soil we have here in Tulsa. Digging out the clay soil and replacing with gravel and a french drain should keep it from getting worse, but probably won't correct the bowing that is already there.

Has the pool been filled with water all this time?

Thanks for the feedback everyone... The pool has been full of water the whole time and the liner is in good condition. From the best that I can tell the walls are bowed all the way down to the bottom, its a pretty shallow pool, about 5 feet. I have not had any pool builders look at it yet, any suggestions for the Tulsa area?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.