Solar blanket -- to cut into pieces or not?

May 7, 2014
Maryland
Re: Solar blanket -- to trim or not to trim?

I have just installed a 27' Above ground pool and like all of you I want to get the longest season as possible. As a kid I remember the solar cover helping to do this. I have found that there are different color and different thickness of solar covers. Have any of you found either of these options being more important than the other? I remember it being somewhat of a struggle to wrestle of the pool so I am liking the idea of cutting it into manageable pieces. After cutting has the wind really been an issue for any of you? I tend to have plenty of wind at my house. Thanks For the replies.

I cut ours into thirds for our 24' round. MUCH easier to deal with and no need to deal with a reel that we only need for a month in spring and fall. I pull each piece, hose it off and accordian fold it on the ground next to the pool, when putting back on just unfold it and use the skimmer pole to push it across. No way I could deal with it in one piece AND no reel to deal with/mount/store! Good Luck!

Reactions: merry47
I just pulled my solar cover out of the garage... it's in 4 pieces. I just cut it up the seams and roll it out across the pool water from one end to the other. I don't get a pool of water on top of it from the cuts either.

We have a 30 foot round with no commercially available reels for that size. The largest I have found is 28 feet. Last year, when we got the pool, I initially wanted to cut it into quarters. I cut it in half and then cut one half in half again. My husband stopped me from cutting the 2nd half into quarters and I now wish I had not cut the other in quarters. it is far easier to roll up one large half then to wrestle with the smaller pieces - at least for anyone in my family. Try going it slowly by cutting it in half and then see if it is manageable. If not you can always cut it down further - it would be nearly impossible to tape it back together. No water gets on top. The cover just lays there. My husband fashioned his own solar cover saddles, 5 or six of them, but often we just roll the cover pieces up on the side if it is just my husband and I and no small children around. BTW wind never really seems to be much of a problem. I think the water gets in between the air pockets and kind of has a grip on the water. Now if it was a really strong gale it might be different, but we never lost it in thunderstorms.

Do you have a deck Wiggledog? I'm going to see if I can bungee cord my pieces out of the way til I get a deck. :lol: I'm not sure if it will work yet but I'm going to try it. I just cut mine right down the seams and trimmed to fit the pool.

We do have a deck and we tried putting the pieces up on that but it was heavy to push up and out, especially the side we only cut in half. We also have three dogs who come up on the deck while we are in the pool and found the solar cover irresistible to lay in - much as they did the winter cover when we took that off . I know cover don't last long but I am sure the dogs can ruin them in less than a day if they are bored. If you don't have the canine issue I think the bungee cords might be a nice idea. We don't have any small children here so at least half of the time we just have the covers rolled up on the side of the pool - if we don't have company. It doesn't look great but it works if I am swimming laps.

I have 2 Boxers and a Rottweiler so I know all about their antics! :shock: I had just pushed the solar cover to one side of the pool but they ended up falling over the edge and getting muddy! I figured if I could wrap the cord around them and fasten them to the side rail, it'd at least keep them from falling in the mud!

I cut mine in to 2 pieces, this year I bought nylon straps with buckles to fasten it together (in the center) and also 4 points on the edge. This way the wind won't blow it out constantly.

I also got crossovers (plastic squares) to feed the straps through. Once it's sunny enough I will glue them to the cover, but so far the holes haven't ripped any bigger even with 30-50mph winds. Last year I was using string.

When I'm not using the solar blanket I cover it with a tarp. This is the third season and I think it should make it no problem. It's a typical Blue/12mil.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.