DE Being Returned Into Pool - New Pentair Easyclean

May 7, 2014
Orlando, FL
I had a 12 year old Warrior DE filter with the older filter element that used the tall rectangular filter grids. (GREAT filter - I always had a crystal clear pool.)

I now have a brand new Pentair Easyclean ECDE90 (same size and shape as the old warrior), but this one uses the newer circular filter element.

My Problem: When I first turn on the pump, huge amounts of DE are being returned back into the pool, and it is then cloudy for hours. I'm talking about 12 seconds of bright white DE water being pumped into the pool.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've already ruled out:

- Any holes in the filter element. I've very closely inspected the entire filter, and it appears to be 100% in tact. (everything is brand new)
- Air in the system. I've been following the exact same process as I always have for the system, opening the air bleed valve, priming, etc. (for when I usually clean the element)
- Cracks or breaks in the plastic filter housing. This filter slides over a black plastic housing and this too appears to be 100% in tact.
- Mesh cover is in place. The small mesh cover that sits over the tube at the very top of the filter is in place and installed properly.
- Filter seated over the plastic frame. Since the filter slides over the plastic frame, you need to make sure it is seated properly. I've ensured that it is firmly in place.

Here are some pictures of the pool, and filter:

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Does it all eventually settle to the floor? We have seen similar pictures where it was actually air bubbles and not DE (very rare though).

I have no experience with that type of DE filter.

What pump do you have? How big is the pool?
Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thanks Jason! Yep, it's definitely DE, and settles to the floor of the pool. (then picked up by my Hayward Navigator) The pictures don't show it, but the waterfall outlets are actually very very white with DE the first 2-3 seconds after the pump turns on in the morning. Pump is a 1.5HP Pentair Intelliflow single speed, and the pool is around 28K gallons.

I have the same filter and just started having this problem the unit is less than 8 months old no tears in filter.
screen is on the top no cracks no issues as far as I can tell.

I have torn this thing down 3 times inspected everything very closely have yet to have any problems till a couple weeks ago I saw de on the bottom of the pool vacuumed it up and each time I start the pump I notice de in the pump basket and it blows a cloud into the pool apon first start
just curious if this problem has been fixed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.