New Pool Owner...Here are my numbers

Apr 8, 2014
Pittsburgh
Bought a house in March, in Pittsburgh, that came with an above ground pool. Took the cover off last night and did some testing with my TF 2006 test kit. The water was decent looking, could see to the bottom, but it was a bit hazy. Haven't started the pump yet...will work on that tonight...so my test sample wasn't from circulated water...but I wanted to get some practice and see how things looked. Doesn't look great...numbers-wise.

FC: 0
CC: 0
TC: 0
PH: <7.0 (was a yellow color, which went below the last color on the tube)
TA: 90 (at least one thing looks ok)
CH: 100
CYA: 90 :(

I'm assuming I need to drain about 45%? I knew the previous owners were dedicated to the pool store system...so I was afraid CYA would be insane. I guess it could be worse, though. Should I take another sample after I get things circulating?

Do you have the K-2006 or the TF-100? Either is fine.

You need to get the pH up and yes you need to replace about half the water to lower the CYA. I would just replace the water first and then retest everything as the fill water may pull the pH up some.

Then you likely should start the SLAM Process since the water is hazy and your FC is 0. Hopefully it will go quick if you do not have a lot of organics in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.