Intex 16 x 48 frame level ground not

May 7, 2014
Orange County
So i got a new intex 16 x 48 pool and proceeded to level the ground. After i got it installed and started filling with water noticed the frame was a rolling wave (ups and down with a high side and a low side). So obviously the ground wasnt 100% flat level maybe 1-2 inches off in completely random spots. I talked to an expert above ground pool company and installer and they said "it doesn't matter about the ground as long as all the post (frame) are level. So i started to dig out the legs to make the frame sit 100% level. Now here is my question i had no problem with this answer because it was from a professional, however i read all over the internet that that isnt what you should do so i am a little confused PLEASE HELP!!!!

First of all Welcome to TFP...... :) We will help with all your pool questions........Have you installed concrete pavers underneath the legs...??? That is the only real way to stop the legs from sinking and make the frame level..... Nearly all of the intex pools on here are all sitting on concrete pavers... Search the advanced search in the right hand corner and type in concrete pavers intex.... :)

If your frame is level, and its only the ground underneath the liner that's a little off level, it shouldn't be too hard to fix... You are doing all the right things... :) Ask anyone on here who has set up an above ground pool, and they'll tell you that levelling is THE WORST job in setting up a pool.... But its really important, especially for the seams of the pool....

swimminWill, Can you post a pic of the pool in all the areas that this wave is going on? If the ground was level, the top rails should not be out 1/2", 1", 2", 1 1/2", 2", 1/2" around the pool. Anything under an inch out is standard and that's being generous. Anything over that and you're looking at a tear down, releveling the site and reinstallation. You can't work on the pool while it's full.

Right I understand that I "thought" the ground was level... Obviously it wasn't... It had a high side and a low side and some poles I between that were randomly low or high.
I was told by a professional above the ground pool company to just level the legs by digging each one out whatever they were off and all will be fine.
Is this true?

As of right now the frame is flat because I dug "holes" for 6 of the legs to sit in. However I know the ground under the liner is not level.

Is this true?
That's really kinda' hard to answer. Leveling the posts would certainly be a step in the right direction but I think I would take down the pool and relevel the entire site. I can say for certain that is the "best" and most correct way.

His way would not be good enough for me but it might work for several years just fine.

Duraleigh thanks for the input. I don't want to cut any corner but I do want this fixed by the weekend so I can enjoy the pool (suppose to me hot again). And to be completely honest I didn't dig down more than 1-2 in per hole for the 6 poles on the "high" side.

I had an Intex 14x42 ultra frame that was low on one side, because I was hasty in putting it up and didn't level it properly. It lasted 3 years before it finally gave in, but the lean slowly increased over time and eventually got to about 3" low on one side.

I didn't bother to take it down because some of the top rails were rusting out, so I was planning to replace it anyway. A couple of them finally gave way and it collapsed at the end of last season.

So you will probably be okay this year, especially if you're being proactive and propping up the low legs. But don't be surprised if it gets worse, and do yourself a favor and take it down and level it properly this fall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Jeff I was going to take it down at the end of the summer and then in the winter take awhile and level it.

Now I am not propping up the low side I am or did dig out the high side. Am I correct that digging the high side down is better than propping up the low side?

Always dig out the high side. By filling in the low side, it will compact from the weight of the water and you'll be in the same position. Good luck!

I hope you don't plan on digging out these legs with the pool full. You get the legs level and you're pool bottom will be higher in the area the legs were dug out if you don't address the whole bottom.

SwimminWill - I had the same thing happen to me when I first bought my pool about 3 years ago. I spent several days just focusing on leveling the ground the pool sat on. I used Sand to help level the ground and used pavers to help re-enforce all the legs. We had a rain storms blow through and the sand under my pool shifted about an 1 inch off. I was very concerned about my family safety so I closely monitored to make sure the pool did not continue to shift. I let it go the first summer off an inch...and nothing happened (thankfully). However, I did take the pool down after the summer season and before I put it back up the next summer...I re-leveled the ground (this time I packed the sand down so it wouldn't shift) and I have had no problems since. I do agree with Casey -- If you are thinking about leveling it, I wouldn't recommend just leveling the legs with the pool full. I have read several forums were some folks have done that with success and others who have done it and the seam came loose and folks had a nasty leak they couldn't fix. Good luck and happy swimming.

A little further on my comment to you swimminWill is that I'd be afraid of hitting the pool with the shovel and Oh my... I'd hate to see you lose it from busting a seam or hitting it with a shovel. It's just be safer to drain it.

As far as the bottom of the pool goes, You could essentially fix the leg supports and leave the inside of the pool humped up but that makes it difficult to sweep the pool and you'd get a lot of dirt and debris collecting in the craters. The perfectionist in me would want to just get a smooth bottom and a level pool. :goodjob:

Can we see some pics of the bottom please? A quick way to get it level is to hire a machine called a plate compactor... That will flatten everything out... They're pretty cheap you'd only need it for about 3 hours... :) Pool does look great....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.