Can gunite be shot when there is a chance of rain?

If it was me and it was going to rain any more than a light drizzle I'd shut it down. Pool gunite is the backbone to your pool. Why take the chance on it and have to live with any problems you might end up with due to the rain?
As mentioned before, ask your PB. What did he say? Is he accepting all the risks? If he is, are you willing to go to the wall to make him accept whatever screw up that the rains cause? Does he have a plan in place to control the rain water/runoff?

It rained the day our pool was shot. The builder covered the site with a gigantic sheet of plastic and poles. Then, once they were done shooting and forming the shell, they just dropped the plastic down over the shell and weighted it down around the edges with the rough grading material on site.

You're supposed to water cure the shell, but we didn't have to. The builder said the plastic would retain the moisture. They just told me to keep an eye on it, and if I didn't see condensation on the inside of the plastic to just spray the garden hose underneath the plastic until wet. The next crew that came out after the cure removed the plastic and it was perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robynethridge
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.