Negligent chemical reaction! Do I need to change my water?

kcb

Mar 30, 2013
I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm a dummy. It is actually quite amazing that I've made it to the age of 39 I swear but because of this forum, I've successfully maintained my pool and spa for three seasons now.

OK, now on to my stupidity. Filled and balanced my spa last weekend and today I tested and it needed a bit more bromine and my pH was a little low. Acid demand test said I need about a half ounce of pH down (93.2% sodium bisulfate). As I measured that out on the scale, I foolishly added a teaspoon of brominating concentrate (82.5% sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione, 14.7% sodium bromide) on top thinking I'll just add them at the same time.

I realized my mistake when it reacted quite quickly changing into a red-brown bubbling ooze that smelt quite noxious. Panicking, I threw it into the spa where it seems to have dissipated.

My questions are, What evil did I unleash? Is it safe to use my spa or do I need to change the water again?

Thanks so much for any help!

Welcome to TFP!

The spa will be fine. If you are worried about it you can replace the water.

That reaction was quite dangerous. It releases chlorine gas, which can be deadly. Your quick action might have saved your life.

NEVER EVER mix or add chemicals. Thank God you are ok.

I hope you learned a valuable lesson. Welcome to TFP.

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to know that the water is still safe. I thought it might have been chlorine gas but it was reddish not green.

I do feel lucky, that's for sure. I've read on TFP many times to never mix chemicals but I still had that momentary lapse of judgment.

Maybe my stupidity might prevent some other dummy like myself from ever doing the same thing :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.