3" and 2.5" Plumbing at the Pad

Jan 21, 2014
SE Louisiana
I am running a combo of 3", 2.5", and 2" for my long runs to the pad. All equipment at the pad has 2" connections (pump, heater, SWG, filter). I'm wondering if it is worth it to upsize the plumbing at the pad (between pieces of equipment). For example: take the outflow from the pump and step it up from 2" in ch to 3", then step it back down from 3" to 2" when it gets to filter.

If I have all of these 2" sections, would it really buy me anything to have this small section of connecting pipes be 2.5 or 3 inch"?

I'd rather not do this because of a little increase in expense and an increase in work to get it plumb'd. But I'd hate to have put so much into the 3 and 2.5 long runs and give up on that approach at the pad if it's going to help me with flow.

I'm trying to squeeze as much flow as possible out of two pumps to run several features.

Thanks
Scot

If you want as much flow as possible, then go with big pipe at the pad too. Although you may be paying an expense for very little gain.

What pumps and features are your dealing with?

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The advantages of using larger diameter pipe depend on the length of pipe increased in size. Using 1' of 3" pipe, instead of 2", is only going to make a tiny difference, while using 100' of 3" pipe will make a large difference. Any section you can increase in size will help, but if the section is short, it only helps a small fraction of a percent. How much you value those small improvements is up to you.

OK, thanks for the tips. I guess I was mainly concerned about having the 10 or so feet of plumbing at the pad (from inflow diverter to outflow diverter) creating a choke point. Still on the fence about what I'll do, but I sure am leaning towards just going with the 2's. I am so tired of plumbing and 2's are just easier to manage.

The main pump will have two main outflow paths. One that will go to 2 bubblers and a future waterfall feature. The other path goes to quad de filter, pentair gas heater, and then will hit diverter to spa/pool/polaris 360.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.