Love Trouble Free Pool!!!! My pool

Wiggledog

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2013
Souderton, PA
Wow -this Saturday we opened our pool to a very dark green mess. A lot of it was my own fault in not paying enough attention last year to pool chemistry. I thought I understood but really didn't. The other part was due to a bald cypress tree just behind our pool deck. We had our pool cover pretty well secured against wind but there was enough space for a mat of bald cypress needles to coat the bottom of our pool - we will secure much better this year against those needles.

When I tested the pool on the weekend to my dismay the FC was 0 - no kidding with the dark green color. All my other numbers were out of whack and the pool was in the mid 50's in temperature and it was raining all weekend. I got right on TFP and started reading everyone's posts and then going back to pool school and then going back to posts and finally the light clicked on in my brain and I realized what I had been doing wrong (ok - everything) and then what I needed to do to get it right. I now realize why people go with longer but thinner pools instead of round. At 15 feet from every direction to the center reaching into the center to vacuum by hand was not easy. Forget the automatic cleaner - with the large carpet of leaves on the bottom of the pool. It went about 5 feet and then had to be cleaned again. Spent most of yesterday scrubbing walls and re-vacuuming and testing. By the end of the afternoon the pool had changed to a teal blue.

Today, with solar heaters working, I got in the pool to do better scrubbing and vacuuming. It was a bit nippy. Pool is now a bright blue, though still cloudy - I know I am not anywhere near done yet but FC 10, CC .5!!!! Happier! PH 7.4, TA 80, CYA 50. When we bought our pool last year I shelled out $500 for chemicals and then found your site. I half and halfed it last year which led to my spring mess this year. I still have about $300 of those chemicals if anyone wants them. The BBB method makes so much more sense! Will be joining as soon as I post this. Thank you so much. Doing this with other's input who are not trying to sell me something makes me feel so much better.

Last edited:
I am going to try to get them on in a bit. I did this during work time (health insurance sales) and now I have to use my normal off time to work - ugh! But with pool water temps so low I was only willing to get in the pool in the warmth of early afternoon sun. I should have them up soon!

Here are pictures of the opening . We did not take pictures initially because it was so green. The first pic is from the next day when we started SLAMMING and cleaning.

openingphoto11_zps1234ceb7.jpg

openingphoto21_zps09cd41e6.jpg

openingphoto3_zps40478d97.jpg

It still has a way to go but it is no longer a swamp!

Ok. Got up this morning and read my numbers right away. Not sure what to do next - any help would be appreciated.

FC = 6
CC = 1
TC = 7
PH = 7.0
ALK = 80
CYA 50

Pool is looking pretty clean but water is still a bit cloudy. I know I need to raise the PH. Should /I continue scrubbing and vacuuming to get anything more up. I am using an automatic vac but I could hand vac to make sure all the algae is up. Not sure of the next step.

Yep, go ahead and raise the pH up to about 7.2 ish. Then, continue the SLAM process. Keep brushing and maintaining FC SLAM levels until you pass the three criteria to determine that you are done. See red lines in my sig :wink:

Good work, just keep at it :smile:

You're in the home stretch - the CC of 1 indicates you still have some of the SLAM process to complete - so keep shocking and filtering and vacuuming. You'll be swimming by weeks end if you're weather there cooperates. At this point manually spot vacuuming might be more efficient. You can raise the PH after the SLAM process is complete.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the conflicting messages about the PH - the low PH for a short time, few more days won't make a difference - its up to you - my point is just to keep you focused on the shock level and SLAM process - sometimes we can get distracted by the other parameters. :)

Thanks. I ran out of bleach, we used 15 bottles of the stuff already. So I am heading out to the store for that and borax. After I get this all done I want to try adding borates. From what I read that sounds like it will help keep the pool clear. At 60 degrees in the water and about the same in the air I have to talk myself into getting back in the pool - much as I love it. Once your in for a few minutes, and working on something, you really don't notice the cold. However once you get out it takes forever to warm up again. Thanks for the help. I was just feeling not quite sure what to do to finish it up. Should I lower my CYA at all?

Thanks. I ran out of bleach, we used 15 bottles of the stuff already. So I am heading out to the store for that and borax. After I get this all done I want to try adding borates. From what I read that sounds like it will help keep the pool clear. At 60 degrees in the water and about the same in the air I have to talk myself into getting back in the pool - much as I love it. Once your in for a few minutes, and working on something, you really don't notice the cold. However once you get out it takes forever to warm up again. Thanks for the help. I was just feeling not quite sure what to do to finish it up. Should I lower my CYA at all?

I'd leave the CYA alone and get the SLAM FC level up to 20, as Beens mentioned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds good. I just went out to test again.
FC = 5
CC = 0
PH = 7.2
Alk = 80
CYA = 50

I did not do any vacuuming yet today or wall scrubbing. Had to go to work for a bit. Will do that soon and I am wondering if that will eat up more chlorine. should I still raise the FC to 20? I just want to make absolutely sure I am doing this correctly. We are expecting rain over night. Pool is much clearer and I can now see the print of the liner easily from above, which was not even that clear earlier today. In dents in the pool there are bits of what look like dead algae. It blows right away when I put the hand vac down to it. As soon as I get this really settled I will put on the solar cover and I am interested in whether you think, going down the road a bit, I should add borates. It sounded good but I want to make sure I have the pool really balanced for a while before I do anything. Again, thank you for all the help. This has saved me so much in time, money, and frustration. Even my husband, who is not a fan of pools (never had one as a kid and can't see why anybody would want one), is happy.

Don't worry about the rain. The pool does not care :p Just continue to follow the SLAM process. Bump/raise the FC to 20 as often as you can, but a least twice a day.

Keep brushing! Keep an eye on the filter.

Sounds like things are coming right along with progress.

Borates? Most folks on TFP do not add borates. You can put that last on your list, as you said, after you have enjoyed your newly balanced pool for a while :smile: and we all can talk about it later if you want.

Keep up the good work :goodjob:

I would hold off on the borates for awhile until you get to better know your pool and how it consumes chlorine. Borates are not necessary, especially for someone just starting out and you've got to be careful with young children, dogs/cats drinking pool water. Lets just get to know your pool chemistry for a bit first ok?

Keep SLAM'ing your pool. You can stop testing for CYA since you know it's 50ppm. It's not going to go up since you're only using bleach so you can save your regents. :goodjob:

Also, keep brushing your pool floor and walls. Many people don't brush their pools enough. It should actually be done once a week and sometimes that's still not enough.

I am now keeping the pool wall brush within easy reach of the pool. I am really happy to see how well the pool cleared up in a short amount of time by really paying attention to the chemistry and vacuuming and brushing. I put two long afternoons in, one with me in a 60 degree pool for 2.5 hours, (a bit chilly) but without that the pool would still be a lot further behind in terms of cleanup. I am just so happy to see the green mess I had just last Sunday be clear and almost ready to go. The cloudiness is gone and now , once the chemistry settles in, the only thing left to do is vacuum up any dead algae the robot vac missed and set up a regular brushing and vacuuming schedule. It is no problem for me to go out to the pool every morning and check the chemistry. I am interested in the articles I read on borates but you are right, I do not really want to do anything until it is second nature to me to read the numbers and know exactly what I have to do to balance the pool. I thought I knew last year, my first year of doing this, but i was wrong and it led to a mess that I don't want to repeat. I see Casey, you are in PA as well. Is it ever going to warm up here? I know I will regret asking this question in a month or two but I am wearing a sweater and corduroy right now - hardly swimming weather!!!

Oh I hear you wiggledog! I was out at my pool today wishing it were warmer and then I read that you were in yours and I was like... that wiggledog is carazy! :mrgreen: We got a heck of a thunderstorm this morning and it warmed up to about 75 and man I wanted to swim! Keep SLAM'ing, brushing and sweeping your pool. You'll be done when it looks like this...

I love your liner! Beautiful! It's getting close. I think a dose of sun will add some sparkle to it. Unfortunately rain forecast for here tomorrow. Ugh!
I do have to admit even cold swimming is better than none but a warm fire sure helped last night.

Checked my pool today after bringing FC to 20 last night.

FC = 18
CC = .5
TC = 18.5
PH = 7.4
TA = 110 (it had been steady at 80)

what do I need to do now. Pool is crystal clear down to the bottom. Am vacuuming up last little bits of dead algae in the bottom of the pool. I assume I should bring the chlorine up to 20 again since I lost more than 1 ppm in FC and have a .5 rise in CC and should vacuum and scrub again. Am I correct on this?

Can you post a pic? If you did the OCLT and tested at dark and before dark this morning then continue SLAM'ing, sweeping and brushing. You want to lose 1ppm or less to complete the SLAM. .5 CC is negligible. As long as you're under 1ppm you're ok but you lost 2ppm FC over night right?

Thank you for the compliments on my liner. It's Portifino from PoolSupplyWorld.com where I purchased it with the pool. :) Does your water look like mine? When it does, you are done with the SLAM. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.