Will In Wall Skimmer Work While Solar Blanket on Pool

vicsin

Sep 17, 2013
We have an Intex 9x18 ultra frame pool. Thinking about installing an in wall skimmer. We keep a solar blanket on 24/7 unless we're in the pool. Will the skimmer work effectively with the blanket in the water? What horsepower pump would we need for a 5000 gallon pool to run it well. Thank you.

Water will still flow into the skimmer if that is what you mean, but it will not actually "skim" the debris because it will all be sitting on the cover.

The pumps for those small pools do not really go by HP. If you want a nice setup, get the Intex 2650 pump with sand filter. That would also work on a bigger pool when you upgrade ;)

Makes sense to me. Are you thinking it might be a waste of time then to cut a hole in my pool if it's covered the vast majority of the time? Are there any other benefits to an in wall skimmer that would make me want to do it anyway. Thanks for the pump recommendation. By the way, why sand filters? Aren't cartridges more efficient and easier to use? I know a lot of people here use them, not sure of the advantages though. Thanks again.

Because the Intex cartridges are small pieces of junk that don't work very well. They can be slightly improved by using a better Unicel cartridge in them, but in the Intex group of equipment, the sand filter is much bigger and better.

If you go to the big name pool manufactures (Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, etc), then any of the filter types can be properly sized to work well.

In the extreme the pump could be too big. Generally we recommend getting the smaller pumps (ideally 2-speed) because they are cheaper to buy and use less power. But the Intex line is pretty anemic, so you would want there bigger pumps (which I think are still smaller than most of the "main" pool manufacturers).

If you go with Hayward, get a 1HP or smaller 2-speed pump, and the biggest filter you can find matched up with it.

I am not sure how the costs compare, but I would think the Intex 2650 sand would work fine for you (based on the assumption that is is a good bit cheaper than a Hayward setup, which could be wrong).

Thx to all. I checked out the link. It's like what I'm considering but that particular pump on Amazon got a terrible review, the only one, because of a so called design flaw in the lid. Did you you know what he's talking about? Anything to be concerned about?

I saw the complaint, but its the only one I could find.... Hayward are meant to be industry leaders in pool equipment, so it might have just been one review... I'm really looking forward to installing mine... :) We really do need the C550 and not the C400.... :)

Have you decided how you are going to chlorinate your pool?

Just to throw in my two cents. I purchased the Hayward Pro Flo Matrix 3/4 HP Pump for my 5k gallon pool and connected it to my intex sand filter. Pressure is fine on the filter and I'm getting super strong flow in the return. The pump is much quieter than the Intex and I believe it will last. I did not replace the sand filter because it's fine and I don't want to spend too much money. I prefer the sand filter because I don't have to backwash as often as I had to clean filters. On the rare occasion that my pool gets cloudy from suspended solids, I toss some cellulose in the skimmer and it clears up quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i have the 2650, and for the 156 bucks I paid off of amazon shipped to my door, I could not ask for a better pump/ sandfilter.

like one poster already said, the original cartridge pump that comes with intex pools is a joke. mine was junked without ever even being plugged in, as I waited for the arrival of my 2650 before putting up pool...... :p

I agree about salt on the frame. We rinse it completely off after every use. It's worth the extra couple minutes for the convenience of not having to maintain the chemistry. All of last summer and all winter this year I didn't add anything to the water. Checked it every week, fine. Took a water sample this week to a pool supply store to have it checked out and they said chemistry was fine, within all limits. It's worth the couple minutes and sanding and painting is no problem at all when it will inevitably be needed. Thanks for the warning though. I'm definitely a salt guy. Wonder how others here feel about it. Any comments would be appreciated.

Salt ate through my Intex pools very quickly and my salt level was on the low end. I have found the TFPM to be easy to follow and maintaining my levels have not been a problem. I have no plans to return to salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.