Solar cover - clear really better than blue for temp raise?

loup18

Jul 5, 2008
Northern NJ
I have this one. It cost the same as what my local pool supply wanted for the blue. A blue one lasted us 2 yrs. I am on yr 2 with the clear diamond and its in good shape. The guy at Leisure living did say if I keep my pH balanced it would last longer. And it gets the water hotter faster too. When we have sunny days it can get to 90+ degrees. I had to take it off one weekend to cool the water down. Its down now because we have had rain and not so hot days. When I have to replace it will be the diamond, it is my only source of heat for the pool.

http://www.poolsupplies.com/covers/diam ... covers.asp

The clear ABSOLUTELY works better than our old blue one. We just got our new clear cover about 3 weeks ago (after the heat wave here in the Northeast). Lately our nights have been cooling down considerably and the pool is still about 82 degrees when I check it in the morning. I think we have picked up about 6 or 7 degrees.

I wonder something....oh GURU'S....!

My solar cover (cheapie blue) is on when the pool is not being used. My FC is very steady as a result, I usually lose less than 1ppm FC a day, sometimes as little as .5 because the uv rays don't penetrate the blue cover. I wonder, with a clear cover, would the loss be greater?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Due to some recent storms in NJ area, and I got tired of cleaning out all the leaves from the storms/losing the daytime heat gain, I bought the only a solar cover I could find at a local pool store a few weeks ago - It was unfortunately a dark blue cover 12mm for $50 (for my 15' AG). I have been able to maintain 78 degrees consistently even with the recently cool nights.

While 78 degrees isn't warm it does keep my 5yr old from getting blue lips. Next time I'll go clear.....

Thanks again - I really appreciate your replies and this excellent website,
Lou

A better strategy is solar! You can buy a solar panel kit that will attach to your plumbing with a built in by-pass valve for about $200 (for a 10 x 4 panel) or so. I bought one for my brother-in-law, he gets his large Intex into the 90s easily in Southern Mass. Costs a bit more, but 85 degree water is sooooooooo nice!

I am also trying to warm up my Northeast pool since having cool nights and lots of rain. It was up to 86 a couple weeks ago, was great. It has dropped to as low as 76, I think it got to 80 today. I have 2 - 4x10 house type solar panels being fed by a T off the return line and can control how much water is flowing. I have the blue solar cover and use it nightly. If the temp is in the high 80's or more with sun then it seems to warm better with the cover off but any cooler doesn't seem to go up much. I wonder if at the lower temps it would be better to leave the cover on which of course would help me keep the FC from burning up during the day. Experimentation I guess, I'll have to do the clear one next time.

I have to disagree about the clear ones.

I have found that the thermoblanket that is blue/black works the best, retains the heat better, and keeps out much of the debris as well.

I have used others in the past, ie clear and the cheap blue ones and have never found them to work as well as the blue/black one. Its made by a company in Ontario. My local PB sells it for $150 due to me having a 16x32' pool. Has a 5 year full warranty on it.

This thing has consistantly kept my water 8-10 degrees warmer. I have a thermometer about 2.5 feet down in the water and my water is at 85-88 degrees consistantly. I take it off when I get home from work to swim in it with the kids and then put it back on by bedtime.

I live in ND, so the evenings now are in the mid 50s. Hope that helps some of you out there. :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm gonna chime in. I haven't used a clear one. But I had the Silver/Blue one prior to my current cheapy. That first one was sooo heavy and thick I had difficulty manuevering it, but it worked great. Sometimes too good, LOL. This cheapy version doesn't seem to get/keep the water as warm on its own, I defintetly notice my heater was working more with this cover. My former cover lasted 5 seasons, then it just was too heavy for me to get on and off by myself. I wonder if the thickness of these thicker covers tend to hold the heat in better? I think mine was called a "space age" solar blanket or something.

reindeerboy said:
FPM, No problem. Thanks for the response. By the way, what is the space age blanket anyway? I never heard of that brand before? Do you have a link to their site so I can take a look at it?

Thanks

Morning :) I just look thru my papers for my pool, can't find the manu info. When I replaced it last year with the cheapy, I must of thrown out the paperwork too. But I remember the "Space Age" words on the Warranty card. It was Blue on top and silver on the bottom, the part that touches the pool water. Really thick and heavy. I'm sorry I don't have more info for you!

dayhiker, I did have a blue cover like that last year and it basically fell apart on me. The little bubble round tabs came off and then they were floating in the pool, in the filter, on the pool bottom, you get the picture.

I just have found that the blue/black cover that I use has worked much better this year, heated the pool when I needed it, kept it cleaner, very durable, with a fantastic 5 year complete warranty on it.

http://www.covertechfab.com/

The above link is the people who make the covers.

This will give you an idea on what I use now.

FPM, no problem on the Space Age blanket. The link above may give you an idea on what I have found to work well for me.

Thanks! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.