New Pool Build Houston

Abano

Mar 16, 2014
Houston tx
Hi,
I am a new member on this forum. This is our first ever pool.

After reviewing prospals from 3 companies we selected our PB, and the pool was dug on April 25th. The gunite was done a week ago on Tuesday Apr 29th. While watering the gunite, I have noticed that there is water leakage from the spa wall inside the pool. Picture taken 12 hours after watering the gunite is attached. Is this something to worry about?

Thanks

Ayesha

IG gunite pool/spa construction in Progress.
Size: 16'-19'x40' rectangular, depth ranging from 3.5' to 6'.
Spa: 8 jets raised spa with reverse negative edge spillover on all sides.
Equipment: Pentair 4x160 hp pump, Pentair 400k BTU heater, Polaris 1.5hp blower
2 LED pool lites, and 1 LED spa lite

Welcome to TFP! Please do keep the pics coming!

Well I don't know enough about the process but I'd guess it's a problem, or could lead to a problem in the future? - something to be brought to their attention at the very least?

I am not a PE or structural expert, but if water in the bottom of the pool is orginating from w/in the spa and leaking through the gunite wall, then there IS A PROBLEM. I would ask you PB if putting a dye into a bucket of water and putting the bucket into the spa and it yields the same colored water into the pool, then you have your answer.

I suggest you contact the PE that signed/stamped the structural drawings for your pool and determine if this is how they intended the structure to work? If not, which should be the answer, then you need to have them tell you why it could be leaking, what caused it and how is it property fixed and tested to insure the leak is gone for good?

Abano, pls check your personal messages...just sent you a note - thx

slight weeping wouldn't concern me if you were filling the spa with water (concrete isn't water tight). But if you're just spraying the concrete down and it's flowing through the wall as bad as it appears to be I'd call em out on this.

Spoke with my Pool Builder. He said "the pool plaster is going to make the pool and spa water proof. So a little water leakage is nothing to worry about". I am not sure that the PB has a structural engineer on board. WE never had any structural drawings for the pool.

Here are the pictures of the pool with steel and plumbing.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Spoke with my Pool Builder. He said "the pool plaster is going to make the pool and spa water proof. So a little water leakage is nothing to worry about". I am not sure that the PB has a structural engineer on board. WE never had any structural drawings for the pool.

Here are the pictures of the pool with steel and plumbing.
View attachment 29033

View attachment 29034

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but when they pull the permits, each phase [structural, electrical, plumbing/other] is inspected and approved. Not many if any PB's have PE's on staff. They outsource the service. Each pool structural design is signed-off by a PE and they stamp and approve it w their initials/seal. If your pool builder did not do this, then are you located outside the city limits to where inspections are not required?

Finally, if there is a crack in your gunite wall btw your pool and spa large enough to allow water to flow thru, then maybe the flaw is big enough that if it cracks more, the plaster over it will too. Again, I am not a PE, but what is the liability of the PB if this crack causes further damage after your pool "is finished"? Look at your contract and detemrine what is the warranty on your gunite shell and detemine who is responsible/liable to fix any future problems?

Here is the plan that the PB provided to us and the city for permit. Not sure if this is a structural plan or not.View attachment 29036

This is not a structural plan. A structural plan will have a seal and signature of the engineer and firm. It will have more shematics of where electrical, plumbing and measurements. It looks similair to a building shematic/plan. Your PB should be able to provide you with a copy.

I'm no expert or an engineer but if you have concern about the integrity of your gunite shell then PB should address right away.

Just kinda lookng at it, PB should be able to add more gunite and smooth out.

Albano,

rodog is correct...this more looks like a basic pool layout, no structural.

I think the path for you is clear. Here is it:

1). Ask your PB for the structural plan w the PE's signature and seal.
2). Tell your PB you want the crack viewed by the PE to determine the nature, cause and fix for the leak
3). Hold back any payments until you get something in ink that the crack is really nothing [hard to believe] or a plan from the PE to properly fix it at the PB's cost.

Finally, have you asked for the structural plans from the PB and to see the PE's sign. and stamp? If so, what did he say?

I had water come in through the shell like crazy (walls and floor) along a portion of my pool that bordered an area of marginal drainage, mainly after a big rain. We plastered last week, and then had huge amounts of rain over the past couple of days. Not exactly standing the test of time yet, but so far the PB is right -- no leakage through plaster.

Here is the update on the issue.

1- There is no structural plan on paper, except for the layout. The city inspector did pass the pool for the steel structure before the gunite was shot.
2- After the heavy rains we experienced, we did not notice any excessive seepage of water. There is very slight seepage of water from inside the spa to the outside wall of spa. There is standing standing water inside the spa, after the rain, about 2-3 inches. Picture attached of the very minor seepage.
3- I discussed this problem with another pool builder, a reference from a friend, and he said the same thing. This minor seepage will be taken care of when the pool is plastered.photo-59.JPG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.