Opening pool - light niche

Packman04

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2013
Last year was the first year I owned my pool and I closed it myself using this site and some information from the previous homeowner.

This past weekend I semi-opened the pool. I did everything except for getting the water circulating because I am having a new sand filter put in later this week. One thing that I did when I closed the pool was removed the light fixtures niches from the holes in the pool and sunk them with weights (this is what the previous owner did). I have not screwed them back into place yet so I am wondering if I can leave them off so that when I slam the pool (it is dirty and slightly green) once the sand filter is running the back of lights and their niches and the holes in the pool wall will also get the slam process?

Or should I just screw them back on? Also- do I really need to sink these to the bottom each year when I close?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm curious why you did that with the lights, vs just leaving them in...where are you located too? Curious on your climate extreme in winter.

The main reason, right or wrong, is because that is what the previous owner did each year. I had thought it was to reduce the chance of them freeaing and cracking... I live in Wisconsin and I drain the pool below the return jets which would also be about the height that the lights are.

I asked my pool builder about the water in the light, as my pool was drained below the skimmers and jets. He said "It wont' freeze down there and in 20 years, I've never had an issue with it."

I actually wonder if the water drains out if the water was lower than the niche, or if there is just room for ice to expand so it doesn't cause damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.