Not opening to clear water this year!

shane4

Jul 4, 2013
Ontario Canada
Hi All
So many posts so many threads! I love all the information, questions, answers, etc on this site. I have to admit though there is so much, I am not always sure I am reading everything so I will apologize if I am posting on something already discussed in the past.

We had a brutal winter for snow up here in Ontario! My deck goes down two steps to the ground. The snow covered my entire backyard right up to the level of the deck. You would never had known I had a pool! Due to so much snow and ice I could not check the pool.

After everything melted away, there was 1 to 2 feet of water above the winter cover. The cover had also come partially off twice so the pool water and water above the cover had mixed. I have removed the cover and the pool is DIRTY!!! I am going to attempt opening on my own for the first time.

Lots of debris such as leaves. The water is relatively clear up top but hard to see the bottom of the deep end. I know I will need to pull out as much as I can and vacuum and filter but is there anything anyone wants to suggest that I look out for or should do?

I understand adding algae control is done at closing and not to bother at opening, is this correct (my pool was professionally closed so I don't know exactly what thy did)?

It sounds like you understand the process. If the water level is high, maybe vacuum the pool with the filter on the waste setting. That will suck up the crud in the deep end and spit it out the backwash port. It will save you some filter cleaning.

Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward. Get the water circulating, brush the walls and floor until your arms and shoulders are in agony, get some test results, adjust pH and CYA as needed (keep CYA under 30 for now if you have to add any) and commence the SLAM.

You are likely aware that there is one company that has a monopoly on Taylor test kits in Canuskistan, and they charge a pretty penny for the stuff. Hopefully you can figure a workaround and get what you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.