Replacing pump motor - Advice needed

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
So my Hayward 1.5 hp Super Pump (single speed) was leaking last summer. I replaced all the seals on it, and it still leaked. After the season was over I took it off the pool and cleaned it up, stored it in my shed for the winter. I pulled it out this past weekend to get my pool up and running and noticed the inside of the unit was all corroded (from my salt water). Needless to say, I don't think it's going to be usable this season.

My dad has a hot tub that hasn't been used in years (he's tearing it out), He offered the pump motor from it to me.

I'm trying to determine if it will work for my pool or if I would have issues with it?

Kind of bummed my pump didn't last more than 4 seasons before crapping out.

After searching around, I think that one I listed is made for an above ground pool, spa or hot tub. Not an inground like mine. Although i'm not 100% sure on that.
I'm also not sure on the HP of the unit, but it is a two speed which I would like.

If this isn't a replacement, what would one suggest?
I've seen a few different posts talking about the VS pumps, which seems like a good option to upgrade to.
SuperPump VS? I realize wont require any additonal plumbing since my original was a SuperPump.
MaxFLO VS?
Tristar VS?

Unless your electric rate is high (more than about 0.20 /kwh) a variable speed doesn't make financial sense. A 2-speed is always worth it, and you'd probably do fine with a 3/4 or 1 hp 2-speed. Since you already have a hayward that may be easiest to fit into your plumbing...check the dimenions in the manuals online before you buy!

I found this thread and it seems to describe my issue exactly.
I looked into the motor replacement he recommended and it seems to be a 2 speed as you suggested instead of a variable speed. At about half the cost to just replace the motor portion itself.

2-Speed 56J Pool Motors
B969 1.5hp 3450/1725 rpm 115V
STS1152R 1.5hp 3450/1725 rpm 230V

If I drop to a 1hp motor, i'm sure it would be cheaper in cost as well.

Received the motor from my father, and it would have worked, except for the square flange on the front instead of the round. So I have to purchase one.
I currently have the Intermatic T104R. Single throw, double pole timer box.
On purchasing a 2 speed motor, would I need to get one with a built in timer, or will the timer box I have do the switch over for me?

Here are the motor replacements I'm looking at.
A.O. Smith 1hp w/timer
A.O. Smith 1.5hp w/timer
A.O. Smith 1.5hp no timer

I would get the motor without timer and a SPDT switch to switch from high to low. One way to do that is to get an end cover switch assembly. What I did is mounted a SPDT toggle switch in my timer box.

The problem with the motor with the timer is that it will switch your motor off and on, but it will not switch the SWG. There are workarounds for that, but it is simpler just to use the intermatic timer that you already have to switch both.

The other thing is that 1.5 hp is more than you need unless you have some water features that you haven't mentioned. You could replace the impeller and get a smaller motor.

Take a look at the B2983 - it is the super efficient version of the B969. Generally speaking with the AO Smith motors the B2xxx is the line you will want. WAAAAY more efficient and not much more expensive.

Agreed with the add a SPDT switch in line and down stream from your timer. That way when it is time to switch from low to high you just flip the switch ... easy cheesey.

I like the idea of keeping my current timer.
So i'll look into a manual switch.

I have two returns/skimmers. The only other thing I have that wasn't listed is a Creepy Krawler (not used often) and the vac hose to clean the bottom of the pool.
Would you recommend a 3/4hp or a 1hp motor then?
This should all bolt up to my current housing, correct?

The B2982 would match up as a 1HP, B2980 as 3/4HP replacement (2981 is the 115v version of the same.

Be sure to order a matching impeller.

take a look at the amp draw on low of the motors ... then look at the price differences in the motors. ... a .2 amp spread (1HP to 1.5HP) on low just isn't that much (its about the same as a 20 Watt light bulb ... yes twenty)

Check out page 6:
http://www.centuryelectricmotor.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=363

My .02 - B2982 and a matching impeller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Chris,
A few more questions.
I do plan on installing some solar heating (possibly this season). Should I keep a 1.5hp for that, or would the 1hp suffice?
I also noticed that the motor in the link is a square flange. My current motor has a round flange. Would this create any type of issue?

DOH! I read 56J as 56Y. Sorry about that.

You may want to call Century and see if they have an E-Plus centurion that is a round flange 56J.

If not the B975 would be the ticket for 1HP. I'm not knowledgeable about the pressures required for solar so I'll have to leave that to someone else.

--Chris

Personally I do not see the value in having the speed selection on a mechanical timer with a few exceptions:
- you have a suction cleaner that requires the pump to be on high for part of the day
- you have solar and want to run on high for solar part of the day and low for other times (although you would need to turn off the solar on low)

Since you are considering solar. I would suggest just using a cheap 3-way house light switch to pick speeds for now. And when you add solar, get a solar controller that automates the speed selection. Don't waste the money on a simple speed timer now when you will make it obsolete in the future.

BTW, a small 1HP works fine for my solar on single story house.

That looks like the ticket - Pool supply World has it as well ($287 - free shipping, no tax). I have found their customer service to be great.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Cent...-Speed-Pool-and-Spa-Pump-Motor-230V/B2975.htm

If you call them they can point you in the right direction on the impeller and the right gasket kit.

Good Job!

Chris
edit:
Looks like they haven't updated the shiny color PDFs yet. for future reference here is the most current I could find:
http://www.centuryelectricmotor.com/workarea/downloadasset.aspx?id=8641

its either diameter or the number/size of fins I never really looked that closely.

If you have a 1 hp motor and a 1.5 hp impeller you will burn out the motor. However if you have a 1.5HP motor and a 1hp impeller you will be fine / save some electric.

--Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.