Well, It is my turn to ask the question, which pump?

JJOM

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 28, 2013
Central Texas
Pool Size
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
UT Oh…

First I wanted t thank everyone on this site, I have gained control of my pool by reading this forum.

Here is my problem: My 2hp WisperFLo only has one bolt holding the motor to the pump. The other three thread inserts (where the bolts mate) have deteriorated to where they no longer are secure.

I found this out when the pump would not start. I went through all the standard "my pump just humms" tests before I realized that the motor was no longer aligned, and that was causing the system to seize. Essentially, the plates where the motor mounts onto the pump have rotted away. I bought the house last summer, and the pump is obviously pretty old.

I assume I have to get a whole new pump. I am OK with that. I have also been reading this site, and feel a two speed pump is a good option. I can get a rebate for a variable ($300.00), but my electricity is about .11kw (Austin Texas). If anyone feels a variable is the way to go I am all ears. BTW, to get the rebate the pump must be installed by an Austin Energy Participating Company. Which might mean paying a higher price for the pump and labor.

Here is my set-up:

25,000 Gallons with an attached SPA.
Pump Station is about 39’ from the pool edge, pumps are a little below water line with 2” Pipe.

2 Skimmers, and pool drain.

2hp WhisperFlo, Jandy DEL60 Filter (60 Square Feet, 19 PSI Clean), Jandy Aquapure SWG
Jandy LXi Heater, Goldline Valves

Pentair ¾ Hp Booster Pump, Polaris

Large Water Fall System on separate 2hp Hayward Model: SP (I guess I could swap this over in a pinch)

Everything is controlled by a 2 station Aqualink RS6 system.

I have a lot of trees and vegetation around the pool.

Question: Which pump?! :)

Note #1: If I go with a two speed pump, can the speeds be controlled with my Aqualink RS6? Or does it have to manually switched? I have read about timers, but I am not sure they will work with my set-up. Manual switching would not be convenient as my pool is pretty far from my house. This is not a deal breaker, just would be a hassle at times.

Note #2: The PVC ‘network’ around my three pumps is pretty tight; in fact the top 90 degree joint to the existing main pump is pretty much flush with the pump (not sure how to remove it).

I typically like value, but I am willing to invest in a great RELIABLE product.

Thanks! JJOM

If you are happy with the strength of the spa jets and waterfall, you should either get the two speed version of the same pump, or a variable speed pump. The variable speed is only really worth it if your electrical rates are $0.20/kwh or higher.

#1) Yes the Aqualink can easily be setup to control a two speed pump.
#2) That may mean some extra plumbing and possibly replacing a little more of the plumbing fittings than you would like, but is always possible to work out one way or another. A photo would help us give specific advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.